Chapter 19

Is it Viji?

I am still blushing, unable to stop. He kissed me! It felt sweet, warm yet cold. I can still feel that sensation within me, giving me goosebumps. But there is something that shuts the happiness inside me with jealousy. Before coming out from the tree, I saw two names engraved on one branch of the banyan tree. I was petrified reading them. "Bala and Viji," it said. Viji, is she the one he talked about? Is she the one? The first girl he fell in love with. I am really the second one. He took her there first, and they may have kissed each other. I can't even imagine those. I don't want to hear the truth but I feel like I can't live without knowing them. Am I this envious? Why is my heart feel heavy and hurt? I feel like crying.

"Sathya, are you tired?" he came in from a bath drying his hair. I went to bed earlier juggling all these in my head. I heard him but acted like I was sleeping which didn't make sense to me. I guess I am not ready to hear the first girl who sat with him on that tree. I am not ready to hear about her. I may be too envious. I thought.

"Sathya?" he sat beside me, I can feel the bed shrinking and the warmth approaching. "Are you that tired?" he asked. I tried hard not to blow up my cover, pretending to sleep is the hardest act. Then I felt his fingers sliding through my cheeks wiping off the hair strands that have lost on my face. It was gentle and affectionate.

"I wanted to tell you so many things. The stories of my childhood. How important is the banyan tree to me, I wanted you to know. Sathya, I wished to complete what we had started there, but I guess I have to wait for more. I will wait because it doesn't hurt rather it feels intriguing. Good night, Sathya." I felt those warm yet cold lips again, on my forehead, pressing gently and arousing my body. My heart is full and my worries left me like magic. Like my paatti (grandmother) used to say, "kisses are magical, they can heal anything and sometimes, destroy everything."

In the morning, we packed our luggage to leave for my home, to attend Durga's marriage. I had fun with his family, Amma, Selvan-Anna, Nandhini-Akka and kids, relatives and other villagers, everything was enjoyable. Saying goodbyes was a little sentimental but they waved their hands as we drove off with happy faces. Selvan-anna dropped us back at the train terminal. We had an almost nine-hour train journey ahead. Throughout the car ride, I was silent and he didn't ask me for any reason.

"Sathya, why are you silent? Are you sad that we are leaving my home? We can visit them again, whenever you like, you know," he said as we settled on our seats on the train. Haa! he is asking me this now? I thought.

"It's nothing, doctor. I do miss them, but something else has been bothering me since yesterday," I replied. I don't want to lock those disturbing thoughts inside and suffocate myself. I wish to clear my heart. Yes, finally I decided to do that.

"What is it? Did I do something wrong?" he asked, a bit panicking.

"Kind off," I said

"What! Really! What is it? Did you not like it?" he asked surprised.

"Her name is Viji, right? The girl you once mentioned... the first one you fell in love with. I saw her name with yours on the banyan tree, it's her right?" My tears rolled down like a string of wool, as I confronted him. But unexpectedly, he began laughing hysterically. I was too stunned at his laugh to speak. This is the first time I see him laughing comically and loudly like this. I feel a little embarrassed now. Did I do something funny? I asked myself.

"Oh! Sathya... I can't laugh anymore. Viji! huh! oh my god! you are really so cute, Sathya," he stated while choking on his own laugh.

"Wha-- what? why-why are you laughing -- like this, Doctor?" I questioned stammering.

"Sathya, Is this why you were upset? Is this the reason for your face to puff like a thousand bees stung together?" he questioned, trying hard to hide his laugh.

"Just stop that, and tell me, why are you laughing?" I cried.

"I am really sorry, Sathya. I am laughing because Viji was my best friend from childhood, we studied together from primary school, also Viji's full name is Vijayakumar, he is married and settled in Tiruchy," he answered laughing at me. I was speechless and baffled. I couldn't face him, I was ashamed.

"Sathya, don't be embarrassed. It's pretty common for anyone to misunderstand. I am kind of happy that you were jealous. It makes me feel I have a special place in your heart. So, it's ok, you can be jealous more if you want," he whispered in my ear. I don't know what to say, I have to apologise right?

"Doctor, I am sorry, I desperately wish to know the first girl you fell in love with. I came home to find her. When I saw that name along with yours instead of mine, my heart ached. Please tell me about the girl," I plead

"I knew you will confront me one day with this question, but can you wait for a little more?" he asked

"Why?"

"Here, now, is not a good time and place for us to speak about her, I will tell you as soon as we get Sivagiri,"

"You promise?"

"Yes, I promise,"

The train moved faster than usual or is it my heart? We talked, eat, joked and watched the scenery outside together. But my heart was like a curious toddler, running around to meet the first person to steal his heart. The one before me. The one I am envious of.