Chapter 26

An Outing

There are no words to adequately describe the magnificence of the ocean at dusk. Along with him, I observed the sun gradually fading away and blending into the fiercely blue ocean. We crossed our arms as we sat on the sand enjoying one another's company. We both made the decision to see a movie after observing the union of the golden sun and the warm ocean on the horizon. There were many people on the beach, including families, couples, and friends. Everyone was lost in thought, savouring the moment and making it one they would never forget. He discussed a variety of topics, including his desire to buy a small house for us and then have children in the future. I asked him; "Doctor, will it be ok for you and your mother? Like since I began my studies, you will have to wait for kids." He just laughed and pinched my cheeks.

"My dear wife, you don't have to worry about those things now, simply focus on your studies-ma,"

"So you don't wish to have kids now?"

"Well, everyone wishes to have children. I do too. However, having children is not a requirement for being the stereotypically defined "family." A husband and wife form a family too. We can discuss children later, perhaps after you graduate, Eppidi?" (How about that?) he answered. I guess I am indeed the luckiest in the world. I smiled as we preceded to the theatre.

"Tell me again the film name, doctor," I asked. It was my first time seeing a Malayalam film in the theatre.

"Chandralekha, it's a movie by Priyadarshan acted by Mohanlal," he replied

"Oh! I do know Mohanlal, he is the one from Iruvar, right?,"

"Yeah, I like his movies. He is such a natural actor. I admire him and Mammootty as well," he answered, interested. I understood that he has a fine knowledge of the Malayalam movie industry and he loves to watch films in the theatre.

"Is Mammootty the actor from the film Thalapathy, who acted as Deva along with Rajinikanth?" I asked

"Yes, that's him. Sathya, you do know films well. Perfect match for me, Hahaha! I am a big film admirer. We should watch every film in the theatre," he excitedly says.

"Ok, I and Durga were a big fan of films, especially our Thalapathy, and we skipped classes once to see Bhaasha back in school days," I joined his laugh.

"Really? Me too. I and Vinod took a leave saying, I am ill and he has a funeral to see Bhaasha," he laughed again. This time we both had so much fun together.

We reached the theatre, he bought the tickets and popcorn. Our seats were on the balcony and the film started. There were couples sitting next to us and they all seems to be from big rich families. The theatre was lively and the film was a comedy entertainer. I didn't get the most Malayalam jokes, but the doctor loved explaining them to me. So I enjoyed the movie. It was already so late, we decided to drive to a nice hotel and have some supper.

"There is a restaurant named Raj Palace, their biriyani is very famous and they have so many flavoured ice creams," he said grinning at me as if trying to make me desire or lure out the teenager in me, who loves ice creams. Whatever the meaning behind that vicious grin it worked.

"What? Ice creams! (sparkling eyes) do they have chocolate flavour? and mango? or pineapple?" I questioned as a child fell into the trap of that stranger whom our parents warned about.

"Yes, I will buy you whatever you need, so be patient," he laughed

"You are always teasing me, doctor," I pouted

"Sorry-ma, I will buy you every flavour you ask, no you demand,"

"Athu, (that's it)" I replied with pride

I waited near the four-storey luxurious hotel and restaurant named Raj Palace when he parked the car. Security dressed in a fancy uniform escorted us to a fine dining area. There were people with their families and soft music played in the background. We got two seats in a corner and a young male waiter came to us with a pleasant smile. He politely asked and took our orders, then went inside. Our biriyani arrived ten minutes late, so I went to the toilet in the meantime. After having food, the doctor ordered ice cream for me, and as he promised he ordered four flavours of the scoop and pineapple juice for him.

"Sathya, let me go to the toilet, you can start eating your ice creams when they arrive, Ok,"

"Ok, doctor," I smiled

When the doctor went to the toilet, the ice cream arrived, and I began slowly tasting it. I waited because I wanted to eat it with him. Then, suddenly, a group of young school students arrived and entered the room with a loud bang. They are making noise while singing a song, disturbing us and the other customers. As I sat guarding my ice cream and his juice, I disregarded them. The raucous youngsters sitting across from me were dressed hilariously like Westerners. One of them began whistling in my direction. I didn't understand why at first, but I eventually got it.

"Hey, babe, what's your name?" one asked winking at me. I ignored him glancing towards the direction doctor went.

"Hey, I am asking you, what's your name, girl?" another one asked. Everyone around me began to stare at me, and I felt so discomfiting. I didn't answer him and continued to eat my ice cream. "Where is Doctor?" I asked myself. Then suddenly a boy walked towards me and sat on the doctor's seat, I was shocked by his action and sprang up.

"Ivide pova kutti, irikune, (where are you leaving baby, please sit) let's chat a bit," he phrased in a very flirty way.

"I don't know you, please leave," I replied boldly clutching my hands.

"Ahha! This one is not Malayali-da, Tamil-aa?" another one approached as he asked.

"It's none of your business," I stood annoyed and irritated

"Oh! She is bold, just tell us your name, baby. I am a big fan of Rajinikanth," he said imitating Rajinikanth's signature sunglass move.

"I don't care, just get lost," I yelled

"Oh! fierce!" one came closer to me and tried to grab my hand and that's when another hand wrapped around me from behind. A familiar touch and scent of safeness. My trembling body felt at ease. It was the doctor. He scowled at the young boys, furiously. His angry face frightened me as well. He pushed the boy who was standing close to me and; "Get lost! Dogs," he roared. He turned towards the waiter; "Is this how you treat your customers? I thought, this was a decent place, didn't know Raj Palace was actually a rowdy market," he criticised.

"We are really sorry sir, I apologise on behalf of them. We are helpless because one among them is actually the son of the owner, I didn't want to lose my job," he spoke sweating.

"Hey, hero, are you her dad? your daughter is beautiful and a perfect match for me," the spoiled son of that hotel's owner laughed.

"Oh! So you are that brat of Suresh, huh? Come here, I will give you my answer straight," the doctor answered, mentioning that kid's father as if he is his close friend. As the argument heated I began to panic. He was really ready to beat that boy. Suddenly one waiter came running; "Joy-mone,(son) it's your father, he is here," he told the boy.

"Doctor, I am scared, let's leave," I said

"Sathya, never allow anyone to disrespect you because you are a woman, poor or any aspect. And as for me, I will never forgive anyone who scorns my wife," he replied and I felt happy at the same time proud.

A man, well dressed wearing yellow shade glasses walked in. He came towards us, and I held the doctor's hand tightly. He smiled and took off his shades.

"Suresh!" called the doctor, identifying that man.

"Bala! ayyo! Da, Bala!" he came and shook hands with the doctor. Everyone including me in the hall stood stunned. Joy, the son of this owner, watched the scene, jaw-dropped.