Chapter 15

Father's Words

We reached Madras in the morning. It changed its name from Madras to Chennai last year, yet everyone still calls it Madras. I believe it may take some time to get acclimated to the new name. I haven't dealt with the doctor adequately yet. I'm not sure whether I can do it after what happened last night. Every time he talks or looks at me, I continue to have a chilly itchy sensation in my stomach. I believe I'm losing my mind. Is this how love ought to be? I followed him out of the station. At the entrance, someone was waiting for us. I've seen him before, but I don't really know him.

"Sathya, you remember Selvan, right? My cousin. He is my father's younger brother's son," he introduced him again.

"Yes, Vanakam (Hello) Anna," I greeted him.

"Even though you are younger, I must call you anni (elder sister-in-law) so, how was your journey anni?" he spoke energetically with a wide grin, just opposite to Doctor who is always silent and calm.

"It was tiring but fun," I replied a little embarrassed

"Then let's go home fast so you both can rest. Periyamma (Aunty) is waiting for you two. She made all the food items in this whole Tamil Nadu, Hahaha.." he laughed while carrying our luggage to the car. He is a cheerful person and he reminds me of Appa, very talkative.

"She does it all the time. Wait till you meet her, she will stuff your belly with food," the doctor also commented.

I followed both of them to the car, and we drove away from the station. I looked out the window at the old British-era buildings, trains, bustling roads, and people. Being worn out, the doctor slept off. Selvan Anna (older brother) kept chatting with me. He was ecstatic to share his childhood memories with the doctor.

"Anni, you know once I got beaten by Mama(uncle) because of him. From my childhood, I was his tail. I followed him everywhere. He was so calm and intelligent. Then one day, some kids from the next village challenged us to a kite flying competition. I was so boiled. We both made kites together and went to the competition. Because of Anna's perfect calculations and strategies, we defeated them. We relished our victory in front of them, which triggered their anger. And, it soon came to a big fight. I thought Anna will run away because he is a quiet type, but to my surprise, he was like our Thalaivar (referring to Rajnikanth). He won the fight too. As we began celebrating our victory again, we saw Mama, Anna's father, standing along with the crowd, watching us. Oh! Anni, I felt death chills from my toe to head. I couldn't even gulp my saliva. We returned quietly with Mama, and he didn't speak anything. It was like silence. But once we reached home, he broke a twig from the nearest tree. I suddenly hid behind Anna. but he was calm then too. We both got beaten by Mama. I can still feel that pain in my legs. I even peed myself. Hahaha... You know after Mama's anger calmed, Anna went to Mama and said "Sorry Appa, I was just curious about that kind of life." I was like "So I received all this beating for his curiosity-ha?"... Hahaha... Now I think about it, those days were so much fun." Selvan Anna concluded his happy times with the doctor. Like a kid hearing a bedtime story, I listened. I knew it, the doctor was not like other kids like me, he stood out from the start, and I want to hear more.

"So, the doctor has a riotous story too," I giggled. I've witnessed a lot of Annas in my village fight over insignificant things that subsequently escalated to important disputes across communities. During the temple festival in our village, I also witnessed Durga's Mama and his friends fighting with the men from the neighbouring village. They regularly fight. He also receives a lot of sanctions because his father is the village leader. Durga claims that because her mama is so mannish, she really appreciates that aspect of her. But I never gave it that much thought. My Appa is extremely masculine even though he never gets into a fight. I believe apart from the strength that a person's ability to make decisions, intelligence, compassion for others, and kindness of heart—in addition to respect and love for all other living things, especially women—are what define masculinity. A wealth of any kind does not imply manliness. Many men and women serve as role models for manliness in that perspective. I pondered.

"Why are you not telling the major part of the story, Selva?" we got startled by the doctor's voice.

"Ehh! You are awake?" I asked perplexed

"Haa! Anna, you were listening," asked Selvan

"Yes, how can I not listen when it was such a unique memory and experience, I don't want to forget that ever in my life. That is one of the biggest lessons I learned from my Appa," he said softly smiling. I glanced at him with inquisitive eyes.

"After my apology, he didn't say anything. But then that night, during our dinner, he told me what became my life's motto," as the doctor began explaining, I saw him drowning deeply in that memory in his eyes.

"Bala, what did you learn from my actions?" he asked me. "You don't like me engaging in fights with random kids on the streets," I replied, then he laughed and said, "Yes, you are correct. My lone son becoming rogue is something I dislike. Because, like all fathers, I am selfish. I don't want you to go down in history as Gandhi, Lincoln, or Hitler. What I seek is respect and envy from the people around us. When they mention my son, I want others to look at me with those eyes. The title "your father" is one I desire. You have the freedom to decide how you want to live and who you want to be in the future. Anything you require, I'll provide it to you. You need to keep moving forward and discover your own purpose in this life. Enjoying yourself and exploring your curiosity is wonderful, but treat them like a disease. Nobody wants a disease to be a permanent part of their life. Cure them as soon as you encounter them." That's what he said. I learned many things from those words. He is my hero." He said with a voice low but coated with great pride.

I felt goosebumps all over my body. "Wow! Now I somewhat understand his motive to become a doctor," I thought.

I was still gaping at him. He held my hand, my face turned red and bashful. His hand was warm and firm, I felt like holding a branch of a big tree. I felt relaxed and safe near him. A place safe enough to nap hereafter.

"Bala-anna you will be an amazing father just like Mama," said Selvan. Both I and the doctor looked out suddenly through the windows, embarrassed and humming at him. The grip on our hands tightened.