「Chapter 5 - Exhausting Night 」

"Alright!" Ryan looks into Rivers' camera, "Let's split up."

River and Wyatt pause their cameras and you all split up some of the devices before going your separate ways. You hold the flashlight, Music box, and EMF reader. River has the spirit talker app open and the camera. You open the backstage door for River and let him walk in front of you.

"Hey, um, " River turns around, and with the faint light of his phone, you can see the hesitance on his face, " I am sorry I didn't see you weren't doing well. I feel a little like it was my question that pushed it."

"Shush, you did nothing wrong. I just hope I didn't mess up yall's video, " You chuckle awkwardly.

Even in the dark seeing him sad pulls your heartstrings. You are still trying to not hate yourself for what you feel now was an overreaction too. You swiftly move past him and lead the way backstage.

"H-hey don't say that. Even if we get no more evidence, that happens."

"I guess."

"It does. We have investigated and gotten little to nothing before. Those videos we don't release but it does happen, " River walks beside you.

You turn to him and feel that damn heat rush to your cheeks. He is too close. You were too stressed to realize it earlier but he wanted to be alone with you, why? You begin to overthink, "No, he just felt bad about earlier. Don't read into it.

"Okay, okay. I trust you, " You giggle.

You still can't help but sneak glances at him, when you see him smiling back at you though your heart feels like it's gonna explode. The hall to backstage is pretty plain but the small set of stairs leads to what feels more appropriate. 

Along the walls are ropes with labels that lead to the ceiling. Props are scattered about and instead of solid walls, you see the skeleton of the building. The wooden floor is very creaky when you both step up the short set of stairs, it's also way colder back here than it was in the main room.

"S-so, I say we put the flashlight or this music box on Eddie's wheelchair. If we can find that thing, " You brainstorm and begin trying to look around.

It's too dark and you don't have any hands left to really use your light. River seems to notice and turns on his IR light again to help look.

"I say flashlight on it and music box on like the steps maybe?" River suggests.

"Yeah and then since Wyatt said that, that seamstress is back here, " You walk over to a rolling rack with many outfits hung on it and lean the EMF against it, " Maybe this can detect her!"

"Good plan! I am gonna start recording again, here, " he hands you his phone. 

You nod and take note of how nervous you are now that you're with River like this. You want to be more comfortable around him and his brother. But that's a later problem, now you need to talk to the spirits here. You grab his phone and push past the butterflies when your hands touch.

"E-eddie, or any other spirits, we are back here to have a conversation with you!" You call out.

"I am River and this is Y/n. She set a device that can detect your energy by the costumes, can you give us a sign you are here?" River pans between you and the devices.

There is a brief pause before you decide to talk again and set the Music Box on the steps like River suggested. You don't see the chair and since he never said anything you assume River found nothing either.

"If you don't want to or can't interact with that, I am gonna set this Music Box on the stairs!" You say and crouch to set the device down, you realize that you are not sure how to turn it on.