ch40

It was finally time. Naruto was released from the hospital a while ago. There was much rebuilding and missions to be done, and Danzo didn't have any missions for Naruto, so he was left alone except for last night when Danzo informed him that he would meet the Yondaime that night.

It was weird to have Danzo explain his parenthood to him and remind him of things he was allowed and not allowed to say. After ensuring everything was perfect, Danzo told him to be at the hospital around noon.

From what Naruto was told, it took them a while to confirm Minato's identity and explain everything to him. Of course, it was hard to explain to him that he missed a decade of time. Although, due to preservation seals, he hadn't aged, but everyone around him did.

There were many meetings with the clan heads, who all wanted to see their friend. Naruto spent the last few days trying to get himself ready, but he really wasn't. Itachi and Shisui weren't back in the village yet, and he was alone.

Naruto wanted to talk to someone, but he couldn't really talk about the situation to anyone. His friends in the academy didn't have clearance to know most of it, and the ones who had clearance to the part were not in reach.

Naruto retreated to his mind to talk to Kurama for a bit. Naruto felt Kakashi approaching. He felt his chakra. Sadness, confusion, regret, and anger. But the anger wasn't directed at him. Naruto knew why. He was probably told about his identity.

Kakashi was in his ANBU uniform and asked Naruto to follow him. Naruto could hear the sound of his own heartbeat. He was doing his best not to show any outward reactions since he was sure the ROOT was watching.

They finally reached a door. Kakashi opened it and motioned for him to go inside. Naruto forced himself to take those steps that felt infinite. It was just a few meters, but to him, it was stretching into kilometers. He felt as if the time was moving in slow motion.

He was finally inside. It was a medical room, and Minato... NO. His father was standing next to his hospital bed. He was wearing a hospital shirt and pants, and he looked... alive. He was looking at Naruto with so many emotions.

Naruto could feel pain and sadness from him. His eyes were shining with unshed tears. Naruto walked closer, but he didn't know what to do. They both kept looking at each other as if they were memorizing every detail.

Finally, the silence became too much, and Naruto decided to say something. "Hi." He managed to say. Voice small and hesitant.

"Hello, Naruto-kun," Minato said, trying to keep his voice soft and even. Naruto was reminded of how people talked to scared animals. His father was worried to scare him. "Do you... know who I am?" He asked, voice barely above a whisper.

Naruto shifted from one foot to the other. He finally nodded slightly. "You are Minato Namikaze. You are the fourth Hokage... and... and my father." Naruto dropped his gaze to the ground after he said the last word.

Minato moved his hand to reach for him, but Naruto flinched a little and he drew back. "That's right. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry for not being there for you. I'm so sorry I wasn't there to protect you. I'm so sorry you grew up without a family. I'm...." at this point, he was starting to hyperventilate. Voice shaking as he was sobbing.

Something in Naruto just reacted, and in a split second, he reached for his father. Holding him. hugging him, and burying his face in his stomach. His father stopped. "It's ok. I forgive you. It wasn't your fault." Naruto said. Voice muffled with his head buried into his fathers' clothes.

Minato sank into his knees. Dragging Naruto down with him. Bringing his arms in Naruto in a desperate manner. Trying to bring him closer. The hug was tight, and they were both crying, but it didn't matter. Naruto was holding his alive father, and that meant everything to him.