ch10

Naruto didn't sleep much that night. His thoughts hunted him. When the sun was up, he decided to go out for training. He went to a training ground outside the base to vent up some energy. He brought his swords and started going through his Katas.

When he was sure he was warmed up, he let his mind and body wonder. He started going through his battles. One by one, he remembered all his foes and all their skills. He began to go through fights with them.

One by one, he imagined each foe, their strengths, and weaknesses. He even went through the fights he didn't actively participate in but only witnessed. He let his muscles ache, and his body glide through positions.

He knew he was getting tired, but he pushed himself further. His muscles ached, and his breathing was ragged. He had no idea how long he was fighting. He was unaware of everything around him. he suddenly stopped.

He opened his eyes slowly and took his surrounding in. It was raining quite heavily, and he was soaked to the bones. He suddenly heard crying and turned to see Gai shouting something about youth.

Naruto sheathed his weapons and got closer to him. he gave a short bow and said. "Hello. My name is Naruto. Who are you, sir?"

"I'M MAITO GAI, ALSO KNOWN AS THE BLUE BEAST. I SAW YOUR YOUTHFUL TRAINING, AND I'M IMPRESSED. IT WAS A YOUTHFUL DISPLAY TO SEE SOMEONE SO YOUNG, SO SKILLFUL." Gai shouted as he cried.

"I'm honored, Maito-san. I'm just a new genin, and there is so much more to learn. My skills aren't that impressive." Naruto said, suddenly shivering from standing too long in the heavy rain.

"WHERE IS MY YOUTH. SOMEONE SO YOUNG SHOULDN'T STAND SO LONG IN THE RAIN IN THIS WEATHER. COME, WE SHALL GET YOU SOMEWHERE TO DRY. IF..." he continued to inflict his self-punishment for keeping Naruto in the rain.

Before Naruto could open his mouth to refuse his offer and tell him he could make his way back, he realized he was already over Gai's shoulder and was running towards the village. Naruto knew that his protests would fall on deaf ears, so he just accepted his fate.

That is how Naruto found himself in the Jonin lounge with a blanket wrapped around him and a cup of hot chocolate. When they first arrived, everyone looked at him skeptically, but then Gai kept praising him, and everyone gave in.

He was sitting on a couch next to Gai and Genma while they were conversing with Hayate and Yugao. Naruto didn't pay much attention to their conversation as he watched the Jonin commander play shogi against one of the Jonin.

Naruto believed the Jonin to be new because when Shikaku came to the lounge and offered to give time off to whoever could beat him in shogi, the Jonin volunteered while everyone else just looked away.

It didn't take Shikaku much time to win. The Jonin was obviously inexperienced and made many mistakes. Naruto wanted to test himself against Shikaku but knew that it wasn't a wise move. So he just kept watching the games.

When the rain finally stopped, Naruto excused himself and went to get his weekly mission. Tora wasn't out in this weather, so he took some cleaning missions in the orphanage. Naruto had no good memories from that place but still liked to help.

The orphanage was highly understaffed for the number of children. Often the older ones would take care of the younger ones. They could hardly manage to get the everyday work done, let alone play with the kids or care for their emotional needs.

There was always a D-rank mission available to help out in the orphanage, but it was a charity service and never paid. Jonin sensies would often threaten and take the mission when their genin were difficult, and it would be done with disdain.