Chapter 9

*The beast*

...
Few days after my exams, on a narrow path leading home. I only stepped out for cool air. It was a lonely road and it was late already. I noticed I was being followed and immediately called Dad.
"Hello Dad I'm on my way home and I feel I'm being followed. Send my number to 911 and ask them to track my phone. I'm turning on my location now. Bye." I hung up. I increased my pace and the person kept following. I turned back after I gathered some courage and was shocked to the bone marrow by whom I saw. It was Dave and he was with a knife.
"God! Dave youu?"
"Yes it's me." He said as he dragged me. I burst into tears. "Dave what are you doing?"
"Now you keep quiet and listen. You humiliated me the last time I came to your house. You dragged me like a piece of rag and even threatened me. Jossy! Jossy! Do you remember some years back when 3 boys attacked you before that crazy Sandra saved you huh? Yeah you remember right. I'm Don. That Donald. Ever since that day, I always wanted a taste of you. I fooled you into dating me and anytime I wanted to have my way with you, you some how escaped. But this time you are not going anywhere. I'm going to use you, get into that panties and probably kill you here and now."
"What The!!! Dave! Don? please don't do this how can you be so determined to ruin me." I said crying. I felt so helpless. I didn't know if the police would show up. Dave picked me up like a piece of trash and threw me behind a kiosk.
I tried screaming but I couldn't because I was chocking up in my own tears.
"Dave please don't do this I'm begging." My pleas were pointless as he tore open my t-shirt and slit my bra unleashing my pearls. I lost all hope at the moment. I tried covering my chest with my hands but he held them with one hand and used the other to unzip his shorts. He was about pulling down his shorts when Dad and the police arrived. The police dragged him off my body and Dad covered me with a blanket. I was so scared, I fainted.

***Mr Phillips POV

When Jossy called, I was beyond tensed. I went to the station, lodged a complaint and some officers accompanied me in tracking her. Luckily I know so many person's in the force. We traced her location to behind a kiosk. Seeing that beast on my daughter with her chest all bare made me go mad. I wanted to attack him and probably kill him but I was restrained. The police officers dragged him off her body and handcuffed him. I took a blanket to Jossy and wrapped her. She fainted almost immediately. The police took Dave to the station and requested Jossy come lodge a complaint and make her statement. I took Jossy to the city hospital and got her treated. She had some bruises and the doctor confirmed she was still intact and recommended she doesn't stress and takes a lot of water. I stayed with her all night at the hospital and took her home the next morning. She became isolated and barely spoke to anyone. She preferred staying in her room and hated when it got dark.

I don't know if she had nightmares because she rarely spoke. I always felt really hurt because I felt I was losing my daughter slowly. Sandra started coming home early and was always by her side. We both tried everything to make her happy for the first few days but all proved abortive. 2 weeks after, Jossy was recovering. She smiled often and always did things go make herself Happy.

One night, Sandra and I were together in the sitting room. It almost looked like we were minding our businesses but a little tension could be felt.

"We need to talk." I spoke first.
"Talk about what?"she said still focused on her PC.
"Talk about us Sandra. It's been 20years."
"Yeah I know that, what about Jossy?" She replied uninterested.
"She is fast asleep."
"Well I don't think we should talk, because there's nothing to talk about. Everything that happened, happened in the past and it remains there."
"What do you mean happened in the past and remains there?"
"I've said what I have to say." she stood up to leave then I asked.
"Where's our child?" she paused and turned around to look at me.
"What child Anthony? The one you abandoned me with?"
"C'mon, don't be silly Sandra. I didn't abandon you and you know that. I asked you to wait for me and bear the child. I said I would take care of it when I become financially stable and now you are saying this?"
"Oh please, you expected me to bear a child I couldn't take care of and let her die of Hunger! Oh please. For how long was I supposed to wait huh? Tell me Tony? No one was even willing to accept me then and my dad asked me to abort it. Remember?"
"You should have at least waited Sandra, I made you a promise."
"Waited? Tony, waited?!"
"Sandra, I searched for you for 10whole years and couldn't find you. But that's not the case. Where's the child?"
"I don't know".
Already getting furious, "What do you mean you don't know, please don't tell me you aborted the child."
"I didn't."
"Then where is she or he?"
"Tony, I dropped her at the orphanage when she was a month old, I don't know if she's dead or alive."
"How can you be so cold towards an innocent child. How could..."
"Hey don't act all innocent here. You claim to have waited for me but you have a daughter who is 20? God knows how many people you slept around with."
I raised my hands and retraced my preposed step.  I was boiling with rage. What the hell was she saying? She abandoned my child in an orphanage and now she blames me for sleeping around. But I put my hand down and was quiet.
"Oh I see, I was right then you asshole and now you want to hit me? You were out there..."
"Can you just stop this." I hissed. "For Christ's sake Sandra, You know I've always loved you and I can never cheat nor replace you. I'm not even married to start with."
"Then where's Jossy from huh? Tell me where?" I sighed.
"I adopted Jossy."

"WHAT?!" I heard this from behind me and turned to see Jossy. I looked at Sandra and I knew I blew it.
"Listen to me my princess, it's not what you think."

***Jossy's POV

That night, I had a nightmare and needed a glass of water. My jug was empty so I went downstairs to get water. Descending from the stairs, I heard dad and Sandra talking. I decided to listen because that was the first time I saw them speak. I was eager to know who my mom was and then I realized I was adopted...

"What else are you people hiding from me?" They were both silent then I screamed,
"Answer me!"
"I promise you Jossy your dad and I aren't hiding anything from you."
"You just be quiet. I heard you say, you don't know if your child is dead or alive. How can you be this heartless? Now I dread staying in your house because you won't mind killing me."
"No don't say that Jo..." Her voice was shaky and so was mine but who cared about all of that.
"Don't! ... don't  even dare call my name Sandra..."