Chapter 1.

Jossy... I am Jossy Phillips

It was a Saturday morning. I felt a bit different when I jumped out of bed. I went to my dressing mirror and stared at myself for about 5 minutes to see if I could see any difference, but there wasn't. I eventually got up, went to the bathroom, had my bathe, dressed up in a simple short gown, packed my hair, wore my indoor slides and went down for breakfast.
I got to the sitting room and wasn't bothered by the unusual darkness. I switched on the lights and almost melted with shock and happiness when I heard the loud scream of "Happy Birthday" from my Dad and few friends. Oh yeah, it was my 16th birthday and it had to be a surprise Party.

***

I'm Jossy. Jossy Phillips. I'm the only child of my Dad. I am in Ss3 and also a science student. A Cardiologist in the making. I'm an introvert with 3 close friends. Josh Michael's, Evans Lilian and Evans Ella. I'm closest to Josh because, I have known him since we were little, let's say, 6. We lived in the same neighborhood and anytime we moved, Josh and his Family moved with us. Presently, we live two blocks away from each other. Josh is an extrovert so our connection just makes sense.
Lilian and Ella are twins; identical twins but Lilian has a little scar like a birth mark on her left cheek which made it easier for identification.

I stay with my Dad; just my dad. I never knew my mom, not even a picture was available. Dad always assured me she was alive but he doesn't know where she is. Dad owns hotels and is the Manager of Phillips Oil and gas limited. He has his industries; firms, here in Nigeria and other countries too. He planned his life very well and now he doesn't really need to be abroad to manage his business. He was also popular. I can remember seeing him on TV or his company name on TV. He also is a citizen of different countries and guess what I also have that advantage.

(Back to this morning).

My eyes beamed with Joy as I saw the beautiful decoration; Blue and red, my favourite colours. I saw a gaint teddy at the corner of the room with "Gummy Bear" printed boldly on it. I knew it was from Dad because only him called me that. I saw an Ice cream cake with strawberry toppings and lots of chocolates, all my Favourites.
I went to my dad and hugged him so tight and cried because I was short of words.
" Are you going to be a cry baby or open your gifts and have fun?".
I chuckled and  snapped out of my baby attitudes.
El and Lil got me a wrist watch and a headset. 4 of our school mates David, Joy, Ikenna and Prisca got me things too.
I was done opening my gifts which lasted for almost an hour. It was almost 2pm and I had not seen Josh. He's my best friend and I expected him earlier. I asked Ella and Lilian and no one knew including Dad. It was almost 4pm and I was already pissed totally. I didn't have a phone so I couldn't call. Yes!!! I'm the daughter of a rich man but I've got limits to certain things. My dad made a rule of me not having a phone till I was done with secondary School. If I needed to browse or look up words or things, I would go to the Cyber cafe or make use of his Laptop. It was 4:30pm already and Josh wasn't here yet. I was worried and angry. Mixed emotions! Did he forget? or is he in trouble? I wondered.

Suddenly, my dad ran to me like there was an Emergency.
"Bears! Josh has been admitted in the hospital"
"Why? What happened?" I said as tears rolled down my cheeks immediately. Yeah I didn't mention how emotionally unstable I am. I call it being childish anyway but I wasn't weak for sure.

"No need for long talks honey, we have to go now." He picked up his car keys and made me lead the way. As I opened the front door, lo and behold! It was Josh. I turned back and saw dad smiling. Now I understood the whole game. I saw Josh with 2 giant cards; one which said "I'm Sorry" and the other "Happy Birthday my Amazing Best Friend". He also had my favourite icecream vanilla and chocolate and my favourite chocolate biscuit. I stood there numbed and amazed but had to pretend. I stormed into the house and up to my room like i was angry. I knew he would come after me and Dad didn't even intervene.
"Jossy! Jossy! I'm sorry". I got to my room and was about slamming the door when he stopped it from closing. I looked at him and saw this amazing feature. My best friend looking so dashing as a prince. His curly ruffled hair, his brown eyes, his shiny lips, pointed nose, his whole sexiness. But then I snapped out of it.
"C'mon man, this is no time to drool." I thought as I walked to my bed, sat and pouted like a cutie with crossed legs. He sat close to me and there was this awkward silence for about 3mins.
"Are you going to stay there and act like a chicken or punch me like you always do?" Saying this he laid properly, facing the fan and his legs on the rug. I chuckled softly and backed him completely like I was still upset. He saw I wasn't giving in so he sat upright.

I could feel him coming closer. His perfume was getting thicker. Most times, he had this minty scent other times banana or ice cream. I can't really place my hands on what he smelt like but I know they are always good and attracting. I could hear my heart racing. He hugged me from behind and had his arms round my waist. My eyes closed, reflex I guess. Like he knew I had already given in, he whispered, "I am sorry Jossy". I was getting all teary with my eyes closed. He came in front of me and made me stand. He wiped my tears and put something round my neck. I opened my eyes and it was a necklace with a pendant if both our names engraved on it "JOSHY".
"It's beautiful". I hugged him so tight and letting go, I asked "Was this why you took so long?. He smiled and nodded in affirmation. He also got me a Pretty Red dress. I put it on and applied light make up and my Favourite strawberry lipgloss. He sat on the bed and stared like he saw a ghost or something.
" Snap out of it dude it's almost 5."
I giggled as I led the way.

***Josh's POV

Damn! She's so beautiful. I'm Josh Michael's. I'm 17, a year older than Jossy. I stay with my foster parents. I'm an orphan or will I say "was an orphan" because, my foster parents treat me real good. My dad an engineer, my mom a professor in English. I have 2 siblings Daniel and Danielle. I've always loved Jossy even more than a best friend. The bond we share, it's so priceless and I've never seen it in anyone else. She is very pretty. Pure black long hair, very long curly lashes and brown skin with nice curves too. She is also a cry baby too. She is very intelligent...