Chapter 4.

*You've got to be kidding me*

"Soo when are you guys getting married huh? Yunno, you and Josh?" Danielle asked. I was about saying something when Josh spoke coming down from the stairs.
"Tommorow Danielle, tomorrow". I just stared at him speechless almost laughing. He came towards me and placed his hand round my neck and said, "Right Jossy?" He raised an eyebrow and giggled.
"Y'all are crazy" I said laughing. I had lunch there and we all went out for icecream. I went home and had my bathe and took a nap. Dad got back home in the evening and Ann came to inform me. I went down to meet him and we discussed about my day and his too. Then he said,
"My dear, you are not schooling here in Nigeria, being a cardiologist needs the best education and training. You are going to New York and thank God you are also a citizen there. So, you'll have to..." Dad kept talking and suddenly I was lost. I was thinking of all the friends I'd leave behind. How will I tell Josh I will be leaving for USA and this time, without him or anyone else. Dad must have planned this for a very long time and I never knew I would pass the exams to Fordham. I was still lost in my thoughts when Dad brought me back "Jossy...?."
"Hmm?" I blinked.
"Listen, in life you have to leave certain people and certain places to achieve things." he said as if he knew what I was thinking, I moved closer to him and placed my head on his shoulder. He played with my hair and I read meaning into what he said but didn't know what to tell Josh. It's very weird. I'm here instead of being excited about my future, I was busy thinking of "friends". The rest of the evening went well and I somehow tried to avoid Josh for the time being, at least till I summon the courage to tell him.
Few days later...

***Josh's POV..

I got to Jossy's house because she sounded urgent. When I got into her room, she had blood shot red eyes but it was pretty clear she wasn't crying. She told me everything and burning hot tears dropped from my eyes.
"You've got to be kidding me right now, just like that in such short notice? You want to leave Nigeria you want to leave me and maybe forget everything we've ever shared after finding new friends and Maybe replacing me??" She just looked at me and watched me talk. She didn't say a word and didn't shed a tear. "Hey! Don't give me the silent treatment" I continued walking towards her. She stood still. When I got in front of her, I was about saying something I immediately forgot when suddenly, her lips were on mine and her as round my neck. Her lips captured mine in perfect unison. I closed my eyes and pried deeper. She parted her lips and I caved in. In every move, my whole self became tensed. My once lying idle arms were now snaked round her waist and my fingers digging deep into her skin through her clothes. Okay, for someone who hasn't kissed before, this was real good. This happened for a while and we both stopped.
"Don't you ever think I'm going to replace you." saying this I smiled and she hugged me real tight.

TWO MONTHS LATER***

***Jossy's POV...

Dad, Josh and Lil accompanied me to the airport. El was busy so she didn't come. They were with me till I got checked in. I cried a lot because, I was going to miss them alot and yeah I was going alone this time

I always travelled with my dad but this time I had to go alone. Dad had to complete very important work. My dad already paid my hotel bills. Not like he didn't have a house there, he only feared I was going to be too lonely and he hadn't arranged for any one to stay with me as a guardian And I was walking towards getting independent. I have been to New York City a thousand times and to an extent, I know my way around.

NEW YORK CITY***

We got to New York City at noon. I got my luggage and headed to the taxi spot. On my way out of the Airport, I bumped into a woman with files.
"I'm so sorry ma'am" I said picking up the pieces of paper.
"I wasn't careful, I'm sorry too." her tone was calm and apologetic. We both got up and I handed her the files I had with me. By her outfit, she worked here at the airport. I walked towards the taxi spot and dropped at Mandrain park avenue hotel. It was just 1.8 miles from Fordham.
My first week was cool. I had several video calls with everyone.
The next week I was busy with school registration and all. Though it wasn't as tedious as that of Nigeria, I was still stressed because I was a "newbie". On the evening of the 4th day, I was walking down to the hotel. The road wasn't lonely but a lot of things were going on here and there. I felt a gentle tap on shoulder in fear, I turned and saw a guy who looked drunk.

"Hey, I'm Don,Donald and you are?"
"I'm Jossy." I replied irritated but didn't show it. I kept walking and paid less attention to him.
"You know I really like you, how you walk and everything. I think we should spend more time together."
"Okay please listen, I'm not interested in this conversation." saying this I increased my pace. He followed speedily and I walked even faster Just to see 2 other guys just like him coming from both my left and right side. I got really scared...

I got really scared and started running. It seemed like everyone around me weren't aware of what was going on. They all seemed busy with their affairs. I ran as fast as I could as they pursued closely behind me. I ran into the main road when a car almost hit me. With the fear from those guys and the shock from the car, I just stood like someone who had a heart attack. The owner of the car, a woman came to me, "Are you okay?" she held on to my shoulder, glared at the boys we already zoomed off although laughing loudly. So lucky of them that I didn't get their faces at all. She held and led me to the car and we drove off. The guys on seeing the car almost hit me, ran back. She drove me to the hotel I was staying. I had thoughts running through my head. "What if she didn't come in time? Why didn't I take a cab? What would have become of me tonight? Still in thought I heard, "I'm Sandra. Here, have a glass of water and you will feel better." I smiled and collected it. I took a good look at her, oh! She's the lady from the Airport. I thought before Sipping a little because I couldn't feel anything at the moment. I wished dad and Josh were with me. I started crying already. "You can come stay in my house just to calm your nerves" I had no answers to give. "That's if you want to though". She added. I'm sure she must have thought it through before saying this.

*** I got to Sandra's house. At first, I was reluctant to go in. I shouldn't trust a stranger.
"What a nice place you've got." I complimented.  "And,  thank you for accommodating a stranger. I'm Jossy."  She only smiled and tapped my cheek and led me to my room. She lived alone in a three bedroom duplex. I wanted to ask about her family or husband or kids but it would be so intruding. But the house felt like she lived alone. I called Dad immediately I settled in and told him about the issue and how my guardian angel came to my rescue.   He blamed himself for not being here with me and was still thankful that someone was there to save me...