Chapter 2

*Can't you be a bit more careful?*

I stayed at Jossy's place till it was 8pm when her dad said my parents said I could have a sleepover till Monday evening. I always had sleepovers at Jossy's place. We even slept together in her room sometimes.
"Josh will be sleeping over."  Mr Phillips said, as he went up to his room.
"Are you for real dad?" Saying this, her beautiful eyes lightened up like she won a lottery. Mr Phillips didn't say a word. He just smiles at her and winks at me.

*** Jossy's POV

It's been a year plus since Josh slept over and now I was beyond happy. But the winking part was very unusual. The wink, Josh's smile. This guys are up to something. I acted like I didn't see anything till dad a guy his door. Then I hit Josh.
"Hey and what are you guys up to huh?"

"I need a bottle of juice, I had a long day." he said ignoring my question. He sat on the couch in the sitting room and crossed both legs and starting watching TV completely acting like I wasn't there. Already faking my angry, I stormed towards the switch and pulled out the plug.
"What was that for?" He stoop up and started walking towards the stairs. This was getting annoying so I pretended to fall.

*** Josh's POV

"Thud! Ouch!" I heard Jossy fall and scream.
"Shit!!! What have you done to yourself? Can't you be a bit more careful? Just because your dad and I wanted to surprise you with a phone you couldn't be patient."
I caressed the point she held then I noticed she was silent. At this point I knew I blew it. Really Josh? really? You just can't keep a secret! She played you. I let her go and sat on the floor, arms folded.

"Are you serious??? And you took so long just to say this? So silly of you. Not to talk of the whole drama you put up to tell me?" After saying this, she hit my shoulder and hugged me.

*** Mr Phillips POV.

Entering my room, I took my daughter's baby pictures and looked at how time flies and how big my daughter is now. I was a "hard man" as people would call me but see my daughter all grown and beautiful and probably will soon be married made me weak to tears. My daughter is all I have. No wife, for some reasons. No family that I know of. I lost both my parents at a very tender age, my older siblings were always too busy to look after me. I started catering for myself at the age of seven. I hawked, washed clothes for people and other house chores just to foot my bills. I attended a Government school and the little money I made was enough to sustain me. Luckily, my parents left my siblings and I a house and all I had to do was fend for myself. I did all I did with determination and Hardwork and I promised myself that I would own companies and my children will have the best education. Lucky me, I've got only one child, a beautiful one at that and I won't deny her the best. I've always known my daughter cared about Josh a lot and I know he did too but I wanted them to be mature enough take certain decisions in life.

***Jossy's POV

I got an iPhone. I wasn't expecting a phone at all that time so I was extremely happy. I wanted to go up and thank Dad but I guess he would be sleeping. Josh and I played video games and watched our favourite movie, Joker. We have watched it about a million times together but I guess it never gets old.

Monday morning, that was quick... Josh and I woke up by 5am to study. Prayed before doing so though. By 6am we started preparing for school. It was a serious morning; no long talks. 6:50am, we both went down for breakfast pancakes and honey. 7:10 am, the driver drove us to school. (I'm the head girl and Josh, the head boy).  I received gifts from my teachers, classmates and even some Junior students. Our WAEC examinations was fast approaching we just had 2 weeks more to prepare, excluding this week.
The next day, I started feeling feverish. I woke up weak and I didn't prepare for school. At 7:30, I got prepared because I was bored of staying in the big house alone. We had a helper but we didn't really talk that much. I only sought her assistance when it seemed difficult. I wasn't even the type that "had people's time." I  asked my driver to take me to school and he refused.

"Jossy, can I please ask your father because doing what you ask for?"James asked.

"Look Uncle James, I'm feeling better now and I need to be in school." I said and turned. I felt a bit dizzy after spinning a little but I still stood strong. He looked at me with those pity eyes. The thing is, he knew how bad I hated to miss school. I don't even think I have and I can't now because I feel sick.
"Can you please take me? Besides, my dad will be busy right now and you know how it gets when he is disturbed." Saying this, I gave a smirk. Uncle James still didn't want to take me. He couldn't call my dad because he could be busy. He could only send messages and messages like that, I don't think my dad would be willing to reply. He had no choice than to agree.

*** James POV

I've lived with Mr Phillips for 6years now and he has always been a good man.
        .      .     .
Jossy got into the car and we moved. We spoke for sometime till she wasn't responding. For a moment, I thought she was asleep. I parked the car and opened the back seat. She was breathing but she wasn't responding. Then it dawned on me she fainted. I immediately drove her to the nearest hospital and called her father. So stupid of me, something I should have done earlier. Now, I'm in a big mess.

***Jossy's POV

We got in to the car and were discussing school stuff. We were still talking till I felt weaker, with time, I couldn't utter a word. I couldn't catch my breathe. I tried calling out to Uncle James but I couldn't till everything became blank.

***Mr Phillips POV

My phone rang the first time and I didn't bother picking up. Second and then third. Then I had to pick up. "James please why are you calling at this busy hour?" I sounded calm but very stern and authoritative.
"Sir... Jossy is at the hospital." My heart stopped for a moment trying to interpret what James said.
"Which hospital?"
"Eldorado city Hosp..." I didn't let him finish. I hung up and barged out of my office. I asked the secretary to move all appointments till further notice.
I got to the hospital and was directed to Jossy in ward 11. I saw my precious daughter lying with drips already. I've never seen her sick for years. I've never seen her so pale. She was unconscious and so vulnerable. I became weak instantly but I couldn't cry. James told me everything and I know how stubborn my girl can be. She didn't even tell me she was sick in the morning. I wonder how long she has been hiding this sickness of a thing.
"Mr Phillips, the Doctor wants to see you now." a nurse said and led me to his office.

"Good day Doc, please how is my daughter? What's exactly is the problem? Will she be okay soon?"
"Mr Phillips please calm down. Nothing is going to happen to your daughter. She is fine and out of Danger. Just very high fever and typhoid. But she will have to stay in the hospital for a couple of days for proper treatment. You know, to make sure the dosage is complete and to avoid complications."

...