Mockingjay

Octavia POV

When Cato left, I needed to stand there for a good couple minutes to fully wrap around the fact that I just talked to one of the most feared careers in Panem.

I decent, halfway normal conversation. Cato Hadley can actually be manageable.

I'm supposed to meet him this morning to go over terms of our agreement, he said he'll handle any disagreements within the time we tell them.

So here I am, up. I couldn't sleep knowing they were alive, at least Cal and Kaylaya. Did they kill the others?

They looked well fed and healthy, but given the circumstances maybe the Captiol just made them look that way. None of them had anything to do with this, maybe they're just prisoners of war? Just sitting in cells?

If anything I wish that's what they're doing, but they're with Snow so it's highly unlikely.

Maybe they need to say whatever they can so they don't die, that's why they said what they did.

I thought about what Cal said about the Ceasefire. I think Snow had influence on that speech. It seems more influential coming from Cal then anyone else.

He's a peaceful soul.

Even if we wanted to, I don't think a ceasefire would work.

Snow still wants me dead. Heck, he recruited the careers to make sure I died. If it wasn't for having good allies I'd be dead.

He'd have every single soul tortured and killed that's here.

We'd still have the games, possibly even more in a year, more quells, more deaths.

They wouldn't treat the districts fairly. They don't already, it would be worse.

I really don't have a choice but to become the Mockingjay.

I looked over at the clock. He should be down there already. So I get dressed in the boring gray clothes they give us, this one being a jumpsuit.

I throw my hair in a low pony going out my door.

********
Cato POV

" You convinced her to be the Mockingjay?" Macy asks as we got served our food.

All their faces were impressed as they looked at me. I shrug, " Now we have something to fight for. She likes the kid enough so yea.. She needs to sit by us so we can figure this out so..be decent." I warn.

" Never thought I'd hear Cato Hadley telling us to behave or be nice." Priya laughs, I send her a glare which makes her grin even more.

" You want to save her don't you?" I question.

" We all do." Vad pipes in. Even with Macy he's still obsessed with Kay.

" Well this is how we do it." We get out of line going to our table in the corner, everyiine stares even more then what they already did. Maybe to see my reaction seeing my not-so-dead girlfriend again.

Today I have a lot more motivation, most I've had since.. I couldn't even tell you.

**********

Octavia POV

I walked briskly down the long hallways to the huge dining hall. Normally Gale or Evangeline would be dragging me down here, I told Gale last night I'd talk to him once Cato left.