Sixty-Seven & Sixty-Eight

PART SIXTY SEVEN

My alarm buzzed me awake at 7am, prompting a groan out of Aston.

"What you moaning about?" I questioned, twisting my way out of his grip so that I could look up at his face.

"It's early!"

"Oh stop, we went to bed at like half past eight."

"You did," Aston yawned, "I was up till at least midnight."

"What why?" I asked.

"Couldn't sleep," he said simply. Before I could ask why, he dipped his head down and pressed his lips softly against mine, causing me to smile. "Time to get up!" Aston whispered when he pulled away.

"I don't wanna," I said, leaning up to kiss him again.

"You gotta," Aston grinned, allowing one last kiss before he slid out of bed, "It's race day!"

"Ugh fine, if you put it that way..." I replied, dragging myself out of bed. Even though he'd been moaning about getting up so early, Aston was bouncing about and lively, I couldn't help but feed off his energy a little bit.

"I'm going to go whip up a huge breakfast," he declared as I picked through my racing gear to find the uniform I was meant to wear for the race.

"You don't have to," I said, "I can do it."

"Nope, you need to just relax. Just get ready and come down and I'll sort the food out."

"Thanks babe," I smiled.

While Aston was down in the kitchen getting the food together, I dragged on my racing gear. It was certainly weird to be getting ready in my own home, I was so used to traveling to my races, it was nice to be able to take my time in such familiar surroundings.

After I pulled on my racing uniform, I put my club tracksuit over the top and then wandered off to my en suite so that I could plait my hair back into two long French braids as was customary for me on race day.

When I was ready I wandered down to the kitchen where Aston was busy plating all sorts of food for me.

"This looks fabulous, thanks," I grinned, taking a seat at the breakfast bar.

"No worries," he responded, sliding a plate of food in front of me and kissing me on the top of the head, "Breakfast of champions!"

"I'll say," I replied, digging in.

We ate in a companionable silence. I tried to take on as many calories and nutrients I could, so that I was fully fueled for my race, and Aston kept wandering off and bringing more food over in case I wanted it.

"I'm good babe," I laughed when he got up to get more fruit for the third time.

"You sure?" he asked.

"Yes," I replied, "If I eat anymore then you're going to have to roll me to the track. This has seriously been amazing."

"Only for you," he said, "We should head out in twenty minutes," he added after he checked the clock.

"Ok, I'm just going to go get my bag together."

I wandered back up to my room and grabbed out my sports bag, flipping through its contents to make sure that I wasn't missing anything. The most important thing was my racing spikes, so I checked about twelve times that I had them all packed away.

"Hey Jess," Aston said, sitting on my bed, "Before we go I just want to say something."

"Sure," I replied, sitting down next to him.