Forty-One & Forty-Two

PART FORTY ONE

Training the next day was brutal. It always was when I took a day off. My legs felt like jelly and Joe had me doing some intense speed work. It was still a bit early in the season, but I was at the point where every mile counted towards my condition for Olympic qualification. Decisions were coming up fast and I didn't have many more chances to show what I had. I just needed one killer time and my fate was set... but I hadn't quite gotten it yet. I was targeting a big national race at the new Olympic stadium as the decider, as were most of the athletes I was competing against for the three spots on the British 5000 m team.

"You have a good day off then?" Joe asked me as I stretched out at the end of my workout.

"Yeah, went to Cardiff actually."

"Sorry?"

"I went to see Aston two days ago after training, and then stayed over," I blushed.

"Wow!" Joe said, "You've really got something with him don't you?"

"Yeah, we're officially a couple now," I smiled lightly.

"Aww congrats J," Joe said, "You really do deserve to have someone who cares for you, and I can tell that kid definitely does."

"Thanks Joe," I said.

"You gonna tell your Dad about it?"

"Ha! I already did," I told him, switching my legs as my conversation with my father came back into my head.

"How did he take it?" 

"Not well," I said. I watched Joe wince slightly as I responded to the question.

"Your Dad just needs someone to get the stick out of his arse!" Joe said.

"Hmmm yeah," I replied, not particularly fussed about it anymore. "He can say what he wants about it, but at the end of the day it's my decision."

"Good on you Jess," Joe said as he helped me up from my seat on the track. I went back to the locker rooms to get cleaned up and get my things together, and then I met Joe in the canteen for a bite to eat.

"Jess I think your phone is buzzing," Joe shouted as I went to serve myself some food.

"Coming," I said, snatching it up and answering it, without looking at the caller idea.

"Jessica Rego, do you care to explain to me why you're in the papers today?"

"Hi Dad..." I sighed, slouching into a chair as Joe passed me my plate which he'd finished filling for me. I panicked just a bit on the inside as I remembered the run-in with the maid at the hotel the morning prior. Crossing my fingers under the table I hoped what my father had to say was not related to that unfortunate occurrence.

"Do you have any care at all for the Olympics?"

"Yes I do," I said, "I've just finished training in fact. What I do off the track really isn't your business."

"It is when you're spotted leaving a night club! Seriously Jessica!"

"It was my day off the next day," I argued, "Its not like I was hammered out of my mind. I just went to enjoy the evening with my friends."

"With that boy you mean?"

"Aston," I corrected, "Dad, it really isn't a bad thing."

"What about these other pictures then?" he asked.

"What are they? I haven't got a paper," I said, crossing my fingers just a little bit tighter.

"You're in the park..." he said.