Epilogue

EPILOGUE

Jess' POV

To be honest I couldn't remember a second of the race. From the point where I lined up on the track to when I saw Aston, Joe, and my parents waving frantically at me in the stands, I was in a complete haze. And then I saw the scoreboard and reality came crashing in.

I'd done it. 

Somehow I'd made it to the Olympics. 

And what the hell? I'd set a new national record? In my head that honor was only allotted to legends, champions of the track. Not some girl who was on the comeback trail after a few horrible years.

But the big flashing letters confirmed it. My name was going down in history.

The next half hour was a blur. I was shuttled from the track to the podium where I was given my gold medal for winning the Classic. Then I was passed a t-shirt that read "Team GB" and a Union Jack baseball hat, and sent off to answer some questions from reporters.

"Honestly, I just went out there and forgot about everything," I told them when asked what my plan for the race had been, "I didn't think about the past or the future. I just went out there and ran my heart out in honor of my parents, my boyfriend and my coach. They've had faith in me all along and I needed to honor that, give them something to be proud of."

From there I was ushered off the track towards the locker rooms, where I could finally meet everyone that had come out to watch me. The second I caught sight of the four of them standing there, in "Team GB" clothing, I burst into tears and went running at them, ending up in Aston's grip with my legs tight around his waist.

"Jessica Regoooo, OLYMPIANNNN!!!!" Joe yelled as I held tight onto Aston, his lips brushing mine as soon as our faces were near enough.

"I love you guys," I cried, as I was set on the ground again.

I made the rounds, giving Joe a big hug. He whispered in my ear, "I knew you could always do it. You're the real deal."

Next was my mother. She hugged me tight, and I could see the tears in her eyes. "I love you Jessie," she told me quietly, our eyes meeting as she smiled at me.

And then my father. "Jessica I am so proud of you," he said, hugging me tight. 

"Dad are you crying?" I giggled through my tears.

"Shhh..." he laughed awkwardly, "You've exceeded all expectations today sweetheart, I love you so much."

"Love you too Dad," I cried, new tears forming in my eyes. This is what I'd always wanted.

I was released after that, turning back to Aston, who had the biggest grin on his face. I didn't notice my parents and Joe wandering away discreetly, but soon the pair of us were left alone.

"Love you," Aston grinned, his fingers trailing up my cheek before he leant in and pressed a searing hot kiss against my lips, "You are so sexy out there, you have no idea."

"Thanks for coming Aston," I told him, kissing him again.

"Thought I was going to have a heart attack at first, why do you have to start so far back?"

I giggled at this statement, wrapping my arms around Aston's neck as I stared up at him.

"You saved me, you know?" I whispered.

"What?" he asked me seriously.

"You saved my life."

"I didn't..." he said, "You did it."