Fifteen & Sixteen

PART FIFTEEN

Once I figured out what Aston was doing I spent most of the Gala trying to avoid his glances. I was having a hard time reading him. I wasn’t sure if he was just leering at me or if he actually had feelings behind those eyes. It was seriously confusing, especially after the events earlier in the evening.

The red carpet had actually been more fun than I had thought. The boys and I had wandered up and down the row of reporters, talking about Sport Relief and talking trash about who was going to win the Mile. We’d done enough interviews together now that we knew how to wind each other up a bit.

“Actually,” I told one reporter after we’d done a few interviews and I was warmed up, “The boys are going to run the Mile carrying me in their arms.”

“Oh really?” the reporter asked.

I smirked away as the boys tried to stumble over an answer to the question. Like they really wanted to carry me around for a Mile! Ha!

“We’ll see…” Aston finally said, looking over at me out of the corner of his eye.

“You can be a bit naughty can’t you?” Aston asked me as we entered the venue for the event.

“Excuse me???” I asked him, shocked that the words had come out of his mouth. I was clearly interpreting him wrong.

“I didn’t mean…” he stuttered, “Just about carrying you…”

“Ok there Ast,” I said, patting him lightly on the shoulder and wandering off. He’d caught me off guard, again, with that statement. Where the hell was his mind? I just couldn’t figure him out for the life of me. And I couldn’t stand that!

As soon as the meal was finished I made a move to head home, training the next morning on my mind. I really needed to get a goodnight’s sleep, especially because I knew I had a hard workout coming up.

“Should we hit the clubs for a bit then?” Marvin asked just as I was grabbing for my things, ready to slip out unnoticed, “Rochelle and her mates are out, we could meet up with them.”

“I’ll pass,” I said quickly, “Training tomorrow!”

“Aww come on, just a few dances,” Aston pleaded, his eyes catching mine. They were big and brown, and just looking at them I almost gave in, almost. “It’ll be fun. We’ll make sure you aren’t out too late.”

“Yeah Jess,” Marvin smirked, clearly playing Aston’s game, “Come! I’ll introduce you to some people.”

I looked around the room for someone to help get me out of going out, failing miserably. It seemed even Dirk thought it was a great idea, what a help he was.

“Fine, just for a little while,” I sighed.

The boys let out a woop and then pretty much dragged me out of the gala and into a waiting cab, Marvin texting away to determine the location for the night. After a short ride, where I did my best to ignore the boys, we pulled up outside a flashy looking club and were let straight in by the bouncers.

“Jess want a drink?” Marvin asked me as he headed off towards the bar.

“She doesn’t drink,” Aston said, “Racing and all. I’ll get you some water babe.”

“Thanks,” I said, surprised that he remembered that detail. I would have thought he’d be all for trying to get my liquored up. I thought he was all about trying to get with me?

“Here we are,” Aston said, passing me a large glass of water with a lemon floating on top. A nice touch.

“Should I trust you?” I asked, eyeing up the drink and trying to determine if there was some secret drug in it.