Fifty-Seven & Fifty-Eight

PART FIFTY SEVEN

"It's not coming back on is it?" I asked after a silent moment, standing with Aston in the dark kitchen. Neither of us had moved at all, freaked out by the sudden noise and loss of power.

"Don't know," Aston replied, making sure he'd switched the stove off. "I'll go check out the front and see if any of the neighbor's have lights on."

While he was out of the room I took care to put the knife I'd been using in a safe spot, the lightning from the storm illuminating the kitchen every few seconds.

"Lights are out all down the street," Aston sighed, "Looks like a blackout."

"It's good Joe stayed home," I said, "I can't imagine being out in this."

"Yeah, and we can't cook now anyways... my stove is electric."

"Aww, and I was just starting to get hungry," I sighed, a dramatic pout on my face. Aston couldn't see it though, it was far too dark for either of us to make out the others facial features, the only light coming from the storm itself.

"Let's try and find some candles first," Aston said, "Then I'll make us some sandwiches. Hopefully the power will be back soon." Just as he said that an almighty crack sounded, causing the entire house to shudder. "Or maybe not."

"Don't leave me," I whined as he bustled around the kitchen, clearly on his way out to find the candles. I really wasn't loving the storm at the moment, not one bit.

"Where are you?" he asked. I shuffled to the middle the kitchen saying his name a few times as he came nearer to me, and after a brief awkward moment he'd managed to grab hold of my hand. "I've got candles in the dinning room and there's a lighter in one of the drawers by the kitchen door."

I let him lead me around by the hand as he collected things around his house, lucky that neither of us bumped into anything that could cause any damage.

"Here we are," Aston said, flicking the lighter and setting one of the big candles in the dinning room alight. Immediately a soft glow filled the room and I could finally see his face again.

"So much better," I sighed, releasing his hand to allow him to dig around in the cupboards of the dinning room cabinet to pull out more candles. He eventually emerged with a big bag of tea lights and some other various sized candles.

"Let's go put these in the living room," Aston said, lighting one of the medium sized candles to have as a light to guide our way.

I sat on the sofa as he went around the room, lighting the tea lights and placing them in spaced out points. They went across the mantle, on the bookshelf, and on the table in front of me. He lit two bigger candles and placed them on the mantle, and a third slightly smaller which he left on the table.

"I kinda of like this," I said as Aston dropped the lighter on the table and slumped down on the couch next to me, "It's romantic."

"Awww babe," Aston cooed, wrapping an arm around me and twisting my head so he could kiss me lightly on the lips. "How about I make those sandwiches and we crack into a bottle of wine? No use trying to be healthy with the way this storm is raging."

"Go on," I giggled, pushing Aston off the couch so he could go get the food.

"You aren't helping?"

"You just asked if you should go make sandwiches... I'll wait here thanks," I replied.

"Fine!" Aston replied, disappearing out into the kitchen with one of the big candles.