Forty-Five & Forty-Six

PART FORTY FIVE

Lying on my couch I waited for my phone to ring for my daily call with Aston. I'd really thought over what Gail had said during my visit with her two days previous and I wanted to talk things over with Aston, at least a little bit. I agreed with Gail on one thing, I definitely thought Aston needed to see more of my world.

"Hey," I said, a big smile on my face when my phone finally started buzzing.

"Hey babe!" Aston said brightly, "How're things?"

"Gooood!"

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, I had a good visit with my Counselor yesterday," I said proudly, "She said I've made quick progress."

"Too right you have."

"How's Tour?"

"Fun," Aston said, "Miss you though."

"Awww," I giggled, going all girly. He always made me do that, I just couldn't help it. "Well I thought about what you said yesterday... I'd love it if you came to Germany with me."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it'll be fun to show you how a race goes," I said. "My Counselor said I should try to show you more of my world, especially since I've seen so much of yours already."

"I'd really like that," Aston replied, "I'd love to be able to cheer you on." I could hear the sincerity in his voice, something that made me just a little bit guilty that I failed to tell him that my Counselor also wanted me to have him meet my parents, well my Dad. I definitely wasn't ready for a meet the parents moment yet thought. Its not like I'd met his family... Hell, we'd only been together officially for like two weeks! 

"Well, I still have to check with Joe... but he should be fine with it."

"Just let me know if I have to do anything," Aston said sweetly. We chatted about Germany for a bit longer and then hung up so he could get off to another sound check. I was feeling good about the whole situation.

Until my next training session with Joe, two days later, that is.

"Hey Joe!" I shouted across the parking lot just before he jumped in his car. We'd just finished my workout for the day and he was off to do some errands before picking Stella up from a friend's. I jogged over to him lightly, stopping just in front of him and leaning against the rear door on the driver's side of his car.

"Yeah?" he asked, question in his eyes.

"I was wondering..." I started a smile on my face.

"Yeahhh?" Joe prompted.

"Well, Aston's got a few days off before the second leg of his Tour. I was wondering if you'd mind if he came along to the race in Germany with us?"

"Absolutely not," Joe said firmly and without hesitation.

"But..."

"Jess no. I'm sorry, he can't come."

"Why not?" I questioned, my brow furrowed.

"I'm trying really hard not to seem like your Dad right now," Joe said evenly, "But he's going to be too much of a distraction for you, and this isn't Norway... You're biggest international competitors are all going to be at this race."

"Well you're sounding a lot like my Dad!" I huffed, turning to head back to my car and begin devising a plan to get Aston to Germany without Joe's help!

"J..." Joe said, grabbing my arm. "Aston is a great guy. Hell, I was the one who first started to push you to pursue something with him! I'm just trying to help you out as your coach and get you to the Olympics right now, and I really think you need to embrace your independence a bit and do this on your own. For you."