Fifty-Three & Fifty-Four

PART FIFTY THREE

I literally fell into Aston's arms when I came through customs at the airport and had collected my bag. He was stood off to the side with a hat low over his eyes and his collar popped high around his neck.

"Hey babe," he sighed in my ear, "You doing better?"

I just shook my head into his chest, not willing to let go of the tight grip I had around his waist.

"Alright Joe?" I heard Aston ask, and then he released one of his arms around me, presumably to shake Joe's hand. "We ready to go?"

Aston shifted me around in his arms so I was held tight against his side, his free hand grabbing my suitcase and dragging it along. I could tell we were being papped from the crowd staring at us, but I just ignored it. To be fair I was still completely lost in my own world.

Ever since spotting Kendra on the track something in me had just snapped. I couldn't possibly match up to her, she'd been racing hardcore for the last few years while I'd had my bad moments. She was the best in the world, the reigning Olympic champion. Who was I kidding, thinking I could compete against her?

And then I realized that maybe this wasn't all worth it. Why was I putting myself through so much misery if she was just going to beat me at the Olympics? Was it worth all the drama?

And then obviously, I ran like shit.

"Here we are," Aston said, stopping in front of a white Range Rover.

"This isn't yours..." I said, confused.

"Umm... It is actually," he said sheepishly, opening the boot and putting my suitcase in while Joe threw his stuff in. "I'll take you to Joe's yeah? That's where your car is?"

"Yeah," I sighed. I watched on as Joe climbed into the back seat, playing with his phone while I awkwardly got in the front of the car. Normally I would let Joe sit up front, since he was much bigger than me, but he seemed to be taking a step back in all of this so I just rolled with it.

We drove in silence, and after sitting in some nasty traffic for a bit finally ended up at Joe's house.

"Can you just drive me home?" I asked Aston, "I don't really want to drive right now. We can come get my car later or something."

"That's fine," he said, giving me a concerned look.

"Bye J," Joe said, leaning over my seat and giving me an awkward hug. "Chin up yeah? Like I said on the plane, its your fastest time of the year. The placing is irrelevant for Olympic qualification!"

"I know," I sighed, "Just not feeling so good about things."

"Just relax, have a good nights sleep, and I'll see you at training tomorrow."

"Yeah," I said quietly, trying to force a light smile on my face.

"Ready?" Aston said once Joe was safely in his house.

"Yes please, I just want to go to bed."

"Awww babe," Aston said, leaning across the shifter and pecking my cheek lightly, "Everything is fine."

"If you say so..." I sighed.

Aston pulled his car out of Joe's drive and we headed off towards my flat. It was late afternoon but it felt much later. I just wanted to curl up in some comfy clothes, wrap myself in my duvet, and cuddle with my boyfriend.

Unfortunately that's not what I got.

"You've got to be kidding me!" I shouted when we pulled up at my house. Parked in my drive was my Dad's familiar red car. "Can we go to yours please Ast?"