Thirteen & Fourteen

PART THIRTEEN

“What?” I asked Aston again as he sat and stared at me.

“Nothing…” he laughed, giving me a weird look.

“You’re seriously a cheeky gimp aren’t you?” I questioned.

“Yup,” he said proudly.

I heaved a sigh of exasperation as I took in his confident expression. “Marv told me about the flower trick.”

“What trick?” Aston asked, taking a bite of his sandwich, his eyes never leaving mine.

“About how you put all you boys on the card even though they’re only from you,” I told him.

“Oh yeah, that trick,” Aston grinned, his mouth full of food.

“I’m so over your cheesy pretty boy moves,” I told him.

“Cheesy?” Aston asked.

“Oh god, they’re horrible!” I laughed. “Trying to give me flowers on behalf of all the boys! Always sitting next to me! I’m not stupid you know…”

“My charms have to be working a little…” Aston grinned.

“No,” I said defiantly.

“Oh they are,” he said, pressing on, “You haven’t told me to stop!”

“Um yes I have! How many times have I told you to give up your pursuit?” I questioned.

“Nah you’re just being stubborn,” he said, “If you really meant it you’d look me in the eyes and tell me that you were uncomfortable and that I should stop.”

“Ok Mr. Cheeky Gimp,” I said, turning to face him and catching his eyes with my own, “I’m uncomfortable, please stop.”

“Nope,” he grinned.

“Oh my god!” I said as I threw my hands up in the air.

“That was completely contrived babe,” he told me, “Nothing serious about how you said that, or the look in your eyes.”

“You are so annoying!” I told him.

“And yet here you are, still talking to me. Again.”

“Not anymore,” I said, getting up from my seat and crossing the room to go sit by Dirk. I sat down in a huff, my arms crossed over my chest. I tried my hardest to avoid eye contact with Aston, but it seemed like he was taking great pleasure in trying to catch me out every few minutes.

“Ready for round two?” Dirk asked after our lunch break was over.

“Please!” I said, knowing that even though I had to sit next to Aston, we were meant to be one hundred percent professional. It was the only way I was going to avoid his annoyances for the rest of the day.

The fact that I now had a reason to be more involved in the interviews meant that they actually ended a lot quicker than I thought they would. At almost smack on 7pm we were done and packing up for the day.

“Anyone fancy going out for a meal?” Marvin asked as I threw my phone in my bag and put it over my shoulder.

“Can’t sorry, I’m meant to be at Joe’s for dinner tonight.”

“But you see him everyday!” Aston protested.

“Yeah, because he’s my colleague and best friend,” I told him.

“Well you’re going to be missing out on a nice meal with us boys then,” Aston pouted.

“I’m sure there’ll be plenty of opportunities, like tomorrow…” I told him. Dirk had told us just minutes prior that we were all to be going to a charity gala together the next night on behalf of Sports Relief. The group of us would be sharing a table and walking the red carpet of the event together. I couldn’t wait to get dressed up for it… not.