What's a Mudblood?

Annie's POV

School is going great, I love Charms and flying it fun. I am doing better at transfiguration. But I still feel like I'd hurt an animal if I transfigure them. So I spoke to McGonagall about it. She assured me it does not harm the animal, as she feels nothing when she transforms into a cat. She suggested I do research on animagi and consider becoming one. As it may make feel better about the whole thing. I am open to it, but she told me it'd be very difficult. But she and Snape would help me when I am ready. She'd also inform the ministry and help me register. But she suggests I don't try becoming one until my third or fourth year. I wish I could do it sooner, but I understand it is dangerous to do.

Anyway, I went down to breakfast with Susan. As we ate, Hermione comes over with Ron. "Morning Annie, we're going to go see Harry practice. Want to come?" Hermione asks me.

"Sure, see you later Susan" I tell her. She smiles and I leave with Hermione and Ron. We grab a plate of toast along the way to eat. We head down to the quidditch pitch. "You sure it's ok that I go? I am a hufflepuff" I ask.

"It'll be fine. Besides you are my cousin" Ron assures me. "Besides Fred and George are the team" he adds. As we reach the pitch. We see Harry and the twins exiting the change rooms with the rest of their team. "Aren't you finished yet?" Ron asks.

"Haven't even started" Harry grumbles. "Wood's been teaching us new moves" he states. He mounted his broomstick and kicked at the ground, soaring up into the air. With the rest of the team. He soared right around the stadium at full speed, racing Fred and George. Hermione, Ron and I head for the stands to watch the practice. I notice Colin taking photos of Harry.

"Liking school so far?" Hermione asks me.

"Yes, it's a lot of fun. I've made a few friends with girls in my house and the lessons aren't to bad. Though History is so boring" I admit.

"Really? I find it fascinating" she states.

"I have trouble staying awake" I tell her.

"I hear you, I have the same problem" Ron tells me.

"What's the slytherin team doing here?" Hermione asks. Ron and I look down to see she is right. The slytherin team is here.

"I sense trouble" Ron states. We head down to the pitch together. As the gryffindor team land in front of the slytherin team. "What's happening? Why aren't you playing? And what's he doing here?" he asks Harry gesturing to Draco Malfoy. Who winks at me, I blush lightly.

"I'm the new Slytherin Seeker, Weasley" he says smugly.  "Everyone's just been admiring the brooms my father's bought our team" he adds. Ron gaped, open mouthed, at the seven superb broomsticks in front of us. I may not know a lot about broomsticks, but I can tell these are expensive ones. Which means they'd be high quality brooms.

"Good, aren't they?" Malfoy asks. "But perhaps the Gryffindor team will be able to raise some gold and get new brooms, too. You could raffle off those Cleansweep Fives; I expect a museum would bid for them" he states. His team laughs.

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in" Hermione snaps.

"Same with Hufflepuff" I add.

"They got in on pure talent" Hermione finishes.

"No one asked your opinion, you filthy little Mudblood" Malfoy spits at her. I knew at once that Malfoy had said something really bad because there was an instant uproar at his words. Flint had to dive in front of Malfoy to stop Fred and George jumping on him. As one of the gryffindor chases shrieked, 'How dare you!'.

Ron plunged his hand into his robes, pulled out his broken wand. "You'll pay for that one, Malfoy!" he yells pointing it furiously under Flint's arm at Malfoy's face. A loud bang echoed around the stadium and a jet of green light shot out of the wrong end of Ron's wand, hitting him in the stomach and sending him reeling backward onto the grass.

"Ron!" Hermione and I shout running over to him. With the Gryffindor team. Ron opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. Instead he gave an almighty belch and several slugs dribbled out of his mouth onto his lap.

"We'd better get him to Hagrid's, it's nearest" Harry states. Hermione agrees. The pair of them pulled Ron up by the arms. Colin ran over to try and take a picture. But we left. We hid from Lockhart, before going to Hagrid's front door. I knock as the other two are busy supporting Ron. Hagrid lets us in with a smile. He gets Ron a bucket to vomit in.

"I don't think there's anything to do except wait for it to stop" Hermione states. "That's a difficult curse to work at the best of times, but with a broken wand" she mumbles.

"Who was he tryin' ter curse?" Hagrid asks.

"Malfoy" I answer.

"He called Hermione something—it must've been really bad, because everyone went wild" Harry adds.

"He called her a mudblood" I state.

"He didn'!" Hagrid growls.

"He did" Harry confirms.

"But I don't know what it means. I could tell it was really rude, of course" Hermione states.

"What's a mudblood?" I ask Hagrid.

"Mudblood's a really foul name for someone who is Muggle-born—you know, non magic parents" he answers soberly.  "There are some wizards, like Malfoy's family, who think they're better than everyone else 'cause they're what people call pureblood" he states.

"That's awful" Harry states.

"I mean, the rest of us know it doesn't make any difference at all. Look at Neville Longbottom, he's pure blood and he can hardly stand a cauldron the right way up. An' they haven't invented a spell our Hermione can' do" Hagrid states.

"How are you feeling Ron?" I ask and he vomits up another slug.

"Gotta bone ter pick with yeh. I've heard you've bin givin' out signed photos. How come I haven't got one?" Hagrid asks Harry.

"I have not been giving out signed photos!" Harry snaps. "If Lockhart's still spreading that around" he starts to say. But then he notices Hagrid laughing and relaxes.

"I knew yeh hadn't really. I told Lockhart yeh didn' need teh. Yer more famous than him without tryin" Hagrid assures him.

"Bet he didn't like that" Harry says with a chuckle. Hagrid then shows us his pumpkin patch. Where he is growing pumpkins for Halloween. Each is the size of a large boulder. We then return to the castle, as Ron is feeling better. Though still vomiting slugs occasionally. Hermione and I go to the library, where she starts to help me with my homework. Before I returned to the hufflepuff common room to hang our with Susan and her three friends. Ernie, Hannah and Justin.

A/N

Picture above of Draco in quidditch robes and gif on the external link of Ron vomiting up a slug.