Ch 14 Friend

Elsie

I woke up the next day in my
new bed. My body aching from all the cleaning I did yesterday. Vaguely, I dragged my body to the bathroom. I am glad that Roma is not in her room. Or should I say, she didn't come home at all.

I splash cold water on my face to fully wake up. Then, I unpack my suitcase to take a towel and my clothes. I was surprised to find a brand-new denim jacket. The one I have been wanting to buy for so long.

My merry little cupcake, Mumma brought a gift for you. Best of luck for your life in New York. Stay Blessed

Your Mum :)

I smiled, happy tears bubbling in my eyes. My life may be the worst but I got the best mother in the world.

After an hour later I am showered and dressed. I looked at an oversized white shirt and blue jeans and the jacket that mom gave me. The blue-grey fabric of it matching with my mood. Anxiety dancing through me thinking about how things will work today. Will I be able to fit in here?

New city, new people. No connection, No friend just a hope of finding something new and exciting. I put on my white messenger bag and opened the door of my room only to find a red-head girl wailing on her phone.

She was about to cry when she looked at me coming out of my room. The whole moment felt awkward, a stranger in front of my room is crying. How am I supposed to react? I am a sucker in handling crying people.

"Are you ok?" I asked shyly.

She looked at me with her light green eyes. A beautiful green dress with a pink bow hugged her petite figure. She looked like a girl from a Cinderella story.

"I am fine", She said her voice muffled. I don't know how to comfort her with my poor social skills. But she looked sad and I want to do something.

So, I extended my hand to her. "Hi, I am Elsie Grey. I am new here. Could you show me the way to the canteen? I don't want to be lost in this huge college". I laughed a little and she shook my hand.

"Ivy Miller, Nice to meet you and Sure, I can show you the way around". She smiled faintly and put her phone inside her bag and started to walk.

I followed her. Morning vibes filled the corridors. Chatting, selfies and coffee was the main aura here. Everybody looked fresh and happy on their first day.

"So, Tell me about yourself. How are you liking here?" Ivy asked me, she seems to lighten a bit.

"Nothing much about me. I am just as you can see me, A simple nerd". I said which is the truth with the exception of my not-so-great grades.

In return Ivy laughed,
"C'mon, You are in New York City. Every high school nerd becomes an element of interest in the College of Langford. Just wait and watch".

And that is what's making me nervous. It's NY and I don't know a thing about living here. Everyone keeps telling me things are about to change and frankly I want things to change. But still, I can't help being nervous. "Yeah, Let's see".

We entered the canteen together chatting. The room was huge and bright with glass windows and chilled air conditioners. People flooded on the wooden benches and I failed to find an empty seat. Am I that late?

"Don't worry soon you will find a seat. People here are like flies, one moment they will sit and if they couldn't find anything interesting they will fly away in a blink."

"Nice," I said and my eyes landed on a coffee counter. My cravings hit me and I excused myself from Ivy to stand in the long line to order a cup of vanilla cappuccino.

After 5 minutes, I was still waiting patiently for my turn when out of nowhere, A tall boy with black hair and sharp cheekbones came toward me. He looked at me and smiled playfully, "Hi!". I just stared at him clueless of what is happening.

Before I can say anything. He snatched my messenger bag from my shoulder and started running.

"What the fuck?" I stared blankly. What the hell just happened? It was about my turn when I left my line and started running after him.

"Hey you, give me my bag!" I yelled at him and he just laughed not even stopping for a second. "Catch me if you can, Elsie".

Wait, What? How did he know my name? Anyway, I want my bag back. I started running faster. All around us, a crowd gathered watching me. No, they were looking at him. Whispers started to blow up in the air. A girl yelled, "Look he is back!", another one cheered in aww, "My Price! My butter cookie!"

The bell rang and the boy instantly stopped in his tracks. He turned around and tossed my bag back at me. I caught it immediately. The cheers ran out as the chase show ended.

I stared at him and he giggled at me. "See you later Bluebird", He said before vanishing into a classroom. The crowd vanished with him too.

Who the hell was he?

•~~~~~•

Question :

How did you find the first day of Elsie in NY? And what about the new people she met :D