Chapter 1-13

The sun was a bright orange ball as it slowly dipped behind the horizon, casting an eerie shadow over the two figures walking by the lake shores of Hogsmeade.

Tom carried himself with a dignified air, his chin held high. It seemed like he knew something you didn't—something important. His steps were a stark contrast to your own, sluggish, slow and clumsy in the sand as you thought back to your parting from Alyssa minutes ago.

"Promise me we'll write every week!" Alyssa ordered as she untangled herself from the embrace, her green eyes glazed over with redness.

"I promise," you trembled through the sniffles. "It's gonna be so weird without listening to you cry about homework!"

Alyssa grinned before seeing Tom who had been waiting patiently nearby, the black cloak draped over his uniform fluttering in the wind like a dark shadow cast onto the ground. The two exchanged nods before he addressed you.

"Shall we?"

"Yeah!"

You peered around, taking in your surroundings one last time before heading to Hogsmeade Station. Water lapped against the shoreline while birds sang in melodic harmony above it all in celebration of summer's return.

It brought a sense of peace even amidst your turbulent thoughts. The Hogwarts crest emblazoned upon Tom's robes seemed to gleam in the sunshine. He seemed to be really proud wearing it.

The journey back felt longer this time around. There were no new friends or magical experiences waiting for you on the train. Instead, all thoughts turned inward as memories flooded into your mind about everything you learned during classes, such as Defense Against The Dark Arts taught by Professor Dumbledore, or Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall. You couldn't help but feel a large dose of sadness as you left behind the magical world you had come to love so much.

Tom's attention was on the horizon, focused on something far beyond what was visible to anyone else. Beneath his composed exterior was a sense of unease. He had worked hard all year, pushing himself further than anyone thought he could go and yet still felt like he hadn't achieved enough.

You wondered what he was thinking about, but decided not to pry. After all, he had always been closed off and mysterious, and did not enjoy anyone getting that personal with him. If it happened, it was always on his terms.

As you journeyed in companionable silence, save for occasional bumping of your trunk behind you, he asked the exact same question you wanted to ask him. "What are you thinking about?"

You ventured towards the dusty road that sprung off the beach and took you into the woods, a path of yellow daisies on either side of it.

"Our classes." You kept your answer short.

"Hmph." He scoffed dismissively, causing an awkward silence between you. You could feel what was left of the sun beaming against the bare patches of skin on your shoulders. In spite of how wonderful it was outside, neither you nor him said anything else until you arrived at the station. The magical village of Hogsmeade was bustling with activity and music played from a nearby tavern while people bustled around doing their daily errands.

The platform looked much bigger than before. All those months ago when Professor McGonagall brought you to the boats seemed like an eternity away now. The only thing that didn't look like it had changed was the great iron engine, tall smoke plumes rising from its stack.

The area was already full with students talking animatedly among themselves, friends huddling around them trying desperately not part ways until the very last moment.