Chapter 1-01

The first two hours of the day were over and so break time had arrived.

You were able to spend the next fourty minutes at your leisure, enjoying the momentary freedom with Alyssa's company as the courtyard was filled with chatter, flocks of students fussing amongst themselves about various topics such as how they nearly dozed off during History of Magic or how they had pricked themselves on a thorn during Herbology. You had yet to take either of those two classes, and it was only because of your roommate's rambling about your timetable that you knew History of Magic was going to have to wait until tomorrow. Your last class of the day was Magical Theory.

"...And oh, on Wednesday we have our first flying lesson, (Y/N)! Do you think Madam Hooch is going to let us fly? I hope so! You told me you wanted to be on the Quidditch team some day right?"

"Mhmmm." That much was true. Flying... You could already feel your hair blowing back and forth, the wind whipping in your ears. Going higher and higher and higher until the rest of your classmates seemed nothing more than ants on the ground you were soaring over.

You could feel it.

Freedom.

"Hopefully one day," you mused, your eyes lit up with enthusiasm. Alyssa couldn't stop the slight smile that tugged at her lips and listened to your chippering. You told her all about the rules of the game. You hadn't even been up in the air just yet, but already felt like you were going to love it.

"...And then there's Astronomy with..."

You muted the rest of her gushing out and tipped your head back on the stone bench, allowing your eyes to fall shut while breathing in the coolness of encroaching autumn mingling with the humid warmth of the passing summer.

But then you were brought down from your imaginative moment of bliss by Alyssa's voice.

"Look, (Y/N)! It's Potions boy!" She prompted.

Slowly, you cracked your eyelids open to peek. Sure enough, a shape now blocked the ray of sunlight you had been basking in, casting a shadow over your face. You opened your eyelids completely, blinked, and stared at the nervous-looking boy staring at the ground and twiddling his thumbs in front of you.

He didn't say anything-not because there was no want to do so, he just looked really, really nervous. It reminded you of the way you felt nervous minutes before the Sorting ceremony.

He made no move to do anything or say anything, so you patted the spot next to you, encouraging him to join you. "Wanna sit with us?" There was more than enough space left on the bench. Plus, the more the merrier!

The boy-Diggory, your mind supplied-lifted his eyes up at you and nodded. They were intense but kind enough to mark him as a Ravenclaw.

He plopped down next to you and a pause ensued. Not tense, but just on the edge on uncomfortable because he didn't seem to know what to say. Which was odd because during Potions class, he seemed to be in his element and behaved like a social butterfly.

"It's Diggory, right?" You broke the silence after a good handful of minutes of nothing being said.

"Will."

Huh? "You will what?"

The Ravenclaw stopped his fidgeting and shook his head. "I won't anything," he flashed a set of pearly whites in a smile. "Will's what I'm called-Will Diggory. But that's really funny though!" Both students snickered at either side of you and you couldn't help but join in soon after. You were smiling so hard that your cheeks were probably going to be sore tomorrow, but somehow you just couldn't get the corners to turn back down.