Chapter 3-05

Rumours went around that today's Defense Against the Dark Arts class featured a bizarre entity known as a... Boggart?

"Ladies and gentlemen," Lockhart conjured an image on the blackboard, an abhorrent creature twisting in a macabre show. "Today we will embark on a journey into the world of Boggarts!"

You had to hand it to him, Lockhart knew just how to pull everyone in and keep you on the edges of your seats. Unlike most people thought, his theatricality wasn't just for show and actually had a purpose. A boring lecture wouldn't keep you interested, so he turned it into a performance. By making a narrative, he sparked your imagination and made the subject come alive.

"These sneaky critters," he denotes the example on the board, "thrive on our fears, hiding in the shadows, waiting for the chance to scare us."

Your quill was above the parchment, ready to write down the information. The Boggart on the blackboard morphed again, its grotesque form shapeshifting from a from a spider with legs like needles to a menacing specter with a cloak, and settling on the shape of a three-headed dog, each head looking more eager to snack on you than the last.

Lockhart's showmanship was far from over. He unlocked a weathered chest beside him and its lid opened for a treasure trove of whimsical trinkets. Wands in every color of the rainbow, hats with an extra sprinkle of magic, and other objects.

"In this chest lie the tools to tackle these creatures. Even the bravest among us can be reduced to jelly in the face of a Boggart. But fear not, my dear students. With knowledge and courage, we can triumph."

You stared blankly at the chest's contents, wondering how a neon-green hat could actually protect you from a terrifying Boggart.

The Boggart on the board transformed once again, this this time assuming the appearance of a jester-like figure with a scary grin. Lockhart laughed loudly, as if his joyous outbursts alone had the power to banish it.

Which was exactly what it did, if you were to believe him. According to Lockhart, the Boggart hated laughter, and to confront it, you needed to change your fear into amusement. Laughter stripped them of their power.

As you wrote down notes, he taught you more about the art of combating them, describing the incantation that rendered them harmless—'Riddikulus'. With this spell, you could transform them into something funny, like a ballerina bunny or a marshmallow.

Lockhart demonstrated the charm, and the compliant Boggart changed into a plump teapot. Confidence and a sense of humor, he said, were your allies when facing them. With this out of the way, he instructed you to pair up and practice the Riddikulus charm.

"So, partner," Alyssa greeted you with the tip of her wand pressed into her palm, "you ready to face your fears with laughter?"

You clutched your own. "Sure! Let's show them what we're made of!"

With a shared breath, you summoned imaginary Boggarts, bringing them to life from the depths of your imagination. Doing so, you felt nervous, but alongside Alyssa, you had the power to turn fear into a comedy act.

She took the initiative. "Riddikulus!" And the Boggart she conjured transformed into a hilariously oversized rubber duck, wobbling unsteadily. You giggled.

Encouraged by her success, you directed the tip of your wand towards the imaginary Boggart. "Riddikulus!"

On cue, the creature changed, its form shifting into a clucking chicken adorned with a polka-dot bowtie. Its nonsensical appearance got another giggle from you.