Chapter 1-11

You heard them. You heard the students—sometimes even teachers—gossip about the last duel you had during Defense Against the Dark Arts. The whispers followed you like a shadow. You just couldn't get rid of them, no matter where you went.

Alyssa and another girl from your House were walking ahead of you, chatting animatedly about the Charms lesson they were about to attend. You fell into step behind them, lost in your own thoughts. Even their lighthearted banter couldn't distract you from the rumours that were spreading like wildfire. Some said that you had defeated Tom with ease, while others claimed that it was a close call and that you had barely escaped with your life. Typical school gossip exaggeration.

As you continued on the way to your upcoming class, you inhaled and squared your shoulders, holding your textbook closer to your chest. You wouldn't let the whispers get to you. You were strong and you weren't going to let them bring you down.

You barely noticed when Alyssa suddenly stopped walking. "Guys," she whispered urgently. "Look."

A bit further away, Myrtle Warrens was being made fun of by none other than Avery, the Slytherin who hadn't once given you the time of day since your dispute with him in the Great Hall. Her small, meek frame was pushed against the wall and she was trying to brush off his taunting about her glasses and frizzy hair, but you could see it wasn't working.

Anger bubbled within you and your small legs were moving before your thoughts even processed the scene.

"Hey!" You shouted out as you rushed over towards them, intent on stopping this injustice from further occurring. "Leave her alone!"

Alyssa followed close behind you while pulling her wand from the sleeve of her blazer. "What do you think you're doing?"

Avery lifted his sneering gaze from Myrtle, not looking affected by your opposition. "Well if it isn't my favorite Gryffindor," he jeered before turning back towards the sobbing Ravenclaw once more.

He may have a had a few inches on you, but you felt fearless and were a troublemaker in your own right. You stepped forward next, feeling confident outnumbering him two-to-one. "Why do you keep doing this?"

Myrtle displayed a glimmer of relief upon seeing others come to her aid, but she was still too scared or upset to speak after such an attack upon her dignity just moments ago.

You planted yourself in front of the boy who had been tormenting her. "What did she ever do to you?"

Avery's response came with a derisive sneer. "She's different," he spat, as if that justified his behavior.

"So what if she's different? That doesn't give you the right to bully her!"

"I can do whatever I want. What's it to you anyway?" He asked in a voice that made it clear he didn't really care what the answer might be.

You put your hands on your hips and glared at him.

"It's not nice to pick on someone just because they're different!" You reasoned, but Avery wasn't one for reasoning. "And you're one big liar!" You told him, a little more than peeved.

The brunette ignored you and didn't stop his verbal abuse, which only made things worse between everyone involved. No one liked people harassing others just because they felt like it.

"You didn't need to be so awful," Alyssa snapped back hotly through gritted teeth. "We don't want trouble."

"Too bad," Avery returned dismissively before stepping away from Myrtle and closer to you. He glowered at you specifically, but you refused to back down. Not when you could still hear Myrtle sniffling behind you. "You got the nerves to step up to me when Tom isn't around to defend you?"