Chapter 1-10

The months cycled through January, February, March and April in what felt to you was the blink of an eye. Spring was upon you, and professor Dumbledore took full advantage of the warm weather. Unlike most other DADA lessons you've had thus far, this one was going to take place outside.

You breathed a coaxing breath, surveying the grassy clearing before you.
The first part of the hour you were required to pick a partner. You already knew who you wanted to paired up with-until you saw the Slytherin getting into position with Abraxas Malfoy. You were totally fine with that. Alyssa more than happily filled in the empty spot.

When it was time to begin, everyone grabbed their wands and faced each other in duelling stances. Dumbledore gave the same instructions he always did before duelling lessons, but not before hammering on the importance of formalities before engaging. Bowing to your opponents showed respect and acknowledged that the duel was a fair competition.

He also reminded you of that it was important to establish the terms of the duel before it began, such as the rules, the duration and the terms of surrender. Negotiating these terms beforehand prevented misunderstandings or cheating.

You stood mirrored to Alyssa, wand at the ready as she had a challenging grin on her face, same as yours. You knew what you had to do. Spells and incantations raced through your mind as you focused on the task at hand.

When the whistle was blown, magical spells started flying across the courtyard like fireworks exploding. The swooshing of spells half-heartedly meeting each other was accompanied by soft grunts and panting. Jabbing and swatting at each other, neither intending honest harm nor being sure as to what they were supposed to go-how far to go.

You wasted no time in casting your first incantation. Your aim was true but unfortunately the girl was able to deflect it. Within this and the next minute, you slipped into a steady rhythm of footwork and aiming. It took some effort, but you emerged as the victor.

While the rest of the students were still sparring, you turned to the redhead who was lying on the ground, her auburn-brown hair messily covering most of her pout. Despite the competitiveness of the duel, it was all in good sport and that there were no hard feelings.

You helped her up with a bit of trouble, pulling her to her feet. "That was fun," you gave her what you hoped was an impressed smile. "You did super well!"

Alyssa smiled back at you, grateful for the help. "You too," she brushed the dirt off her skirt and tugged her fingers through her hair to make it look a bit less like a hurricane went through it. "I knew you were the one to beat. You're good."

Your gaze turned from the witch to the professor who signalled you. When you approached him he faced you, his half-moon glasses catching the sunlight with the tipping of of his head. "Well done, both of you! (Y/N), you have great potential. But now it's time for you to face a bigger challenge. Mr Malfoy?"

Summoned by the addressing of his name, Abraxas Malfoy walked over from further up. Despite having lost his duel, he was wearing a confident smirk when he saw that you were his opponent.

"You are to face each other next. Remember your spells and stay focused."

"(Y/N)," Abraxas said in lieu of a greeting. "Are you ready for this?" He asked from ten feet away, his locks falling into his eyes as he raised his wand. You could tell by his cockiness that he thought he had this in the bag.

"Of course!" You adapted your stance, ready to prove him wrong. You chanced a quick peek towards Tom who was watching you from the side. You were determined to make a good impression, to prove your worth in front of him, Abraxas and the rest of the onlookers.