Chapter 62

"In the distant past I briefly saw, Kaname helped the humans with affection, but was betrayed. Even so, he has always stood by them as their ally. Despite losing his greatest companion, and despite losing his comrades, he has always, always. . . Always. . ."

It's as though he wouldn't be allowed to exist if he didn't use his life for the sake of someone. . .

I wake up on my bed alone. I know that in the room far off down the hall Yuki and Kaname are together. Feeling each other's first time of waking next to each other. I know that feeling. I awoke the same with Zero beside me. But, only I recall that. Only I hold that precious memory of my one and only time with a man, who I love dearly.

"I thought my long journey has finally ended. . ."

I recall in my mind events that happened. I don't question it. I just lay there on my bed staring into nothing.

At that time Kaname looked like he had grown tired and worn out from his journey.

My heart leaps for joy, but I know this is half of Yuki's heart as well. She can feel my sorrow as much as I can feel her happiness. Our emotions keep us stable, and sane.

"Maybe he had decided to end everything."

I hear Yuki say into my mind. Even if that were true. I still have my duty. Nothing will get in my way. I lost the man I love so, I have nothing to live for.

~0~

"Besides intending to kill purebloods, Kaname also planned to become the weapon that would threaten all vampires." Ichijo states. "And that course of action has agitated the remaining purebloods, since Kaname has decided to become the human's comrade. Staying around Kaname has become more dangerous than ever, so-"

"So? You only want me to go home because it's dangerous?" Rima asks annoyed with a hand to her hip. "If Shiki is staying, then I'm staying too. And, you're saying that if it's Shiki, he can stay? What kind of reasoning is that?" Rima complains to Ichijo.

"Well, even if I say no, he'll come along in the end." Ichijo mentions as he crosses his arms over his chest, and Senri looks at him with a bored expression as he points to himself.

"Yeah that." Rima states. "I'm astounded by him too." Rima adds on before she looks over at Senri. "Even if I tell you to stop sticking to Ichijo, you'll rebut by saying you're still indebted to him, am I right?" Rima says waiting for Senri's answer.

"Yeah." He answers her, and prepares to say something else. "Sorry, Rima, but Ichijo. . . Rima, both of you are the ones who have supported me in my darkest of times. So-"

"I've only protected their precious 'weapon' as the Senate's pawn then." Ichijo says interrupting Senri as he casts his gaze to the floor.

"NO!" Senri yells out as Ichijo looks up at him stunned. "That's not it, Ichijo." Senri assures him. "Even now, you're worrying about someone, and staying by their side, aren't you?"

"It's not something that simple." Ichijo says looking down again. Ichijo looks up as Senri reaches a hand out to Rima.

"Rima, stay behind together with me. If you're worried about me, then stay by my side." Senri says to her as Rima looks over at him. Both Rima and Ichijo stare at Senri stunned.

"I like that honesty." Ichijo says as he smiles. "But, to both of you as vampires, I want you two to understand the meaning of staying on Kaname's side." Ichijo says to both of them. "Looks like it's true that the purebloods have formed an alliance. The Association is monitoring the situation closely. After all, they have sent the best hunters to protect the Kuran mansion."