Chapter 9

The first memory was burned deep into both our minds. . .

"May I drink your blood?" The bad vampire asked Yuki and I with an evil smile coating his face. I can still see that smile. I saw those long fangs. I saw those crimson eyes when he grabbed Yuki and me. I remember my struggle and I can still hear the screams of terror that belonged to Yuki. I can still feel how he wanted to eat me first.

The second memory. . . My earliest memory is of that snowy day, ten years ago. The white snow, the crimson blood. . . the terror. . . and the memory of being saved by a kind man who I cannot trust.

I remember the red blood splattering all over Yuki and me, all over the white snow. The handsome man standing in front of us covered in blood after pulling his arm out of the bad vampire's head. His hand reaching out to me right after Yuki had already taken his hand. I look at my fingers stained with blood. I near them to my mouth. He grabs my hand preventing me from licking the blood off.

"Don't do that." He says with a gentle smile. I pull my hand back and continue to stare at him.

"Why are you two girls out here on your own? Come with me." He says reaching his hand out. I watched Yuki take his hand without hesitation. I don't feel the same, but I had no choice. I needed his help. I reach for his bloody hand. The echoes of not trusting him fill my mind.

"I'm Kaname, what are your names?" He asks us, but we both look at him blankly.

"Of course." He pulled Yuki into an embrace as she began to cry. I just watched it all unfold in front of me. I felt bad that I didn't cry or try to comfort Yuki, but I was still shocked from the attack. My emotions were numb. He reaches a hand out, but I just look down at the bloody snow.

"You were scared. It's alright now." He says comforting Yuki. Her sobs ring in my ears before I finally place my hand over his. He seemed surprised, but quickly gets over it and we follow him.

                                        ~0~

A light tap to my head breaks me from my concentration. I look over at Zero. "You stopped shooting. Where were you at?" He asks pushing the gun back down. I look down at the gun in my hand.

"Who knows?" I lie to him. He puts a rough hand to my head. "Hey!" I complain and try to get my head out of his grasp.

"You're lying." He says irritated.

"I was just thinking is all." I say turning back to my target. He puts a hand stopping me from shooting. I glance at him. I sigh because he wasn't going to let this go.

"I'm worried about you okay? I'm just looking out for you is all." I say trying to hide the blush.

"You're not my babysitter." He says to me.

"Right. Because that's what Yuki and you have proven to me. You two can't do a thing without me babysitting you two." I say with a smug smirk.

"You know I didn't think you could be smart enough to hide you puncture wound with that choker." He says just as smugly. My temple throbs at his smart ass comment.

"Shut up! It's better than having idiots like Aido ripping off a band-aid from my neck." I say taking a few shots at the target.

"Although I'm pretty sure Kaname figured out what happened already." I say to myself. That guy is way too observant.

"Do you have any idea how much Yuki would freak out if she saw these puncture wounds? She'd kill me. I'm going to wait until the wound is less obvious." I state to him.

"You don't seem to mind though. You like that I drink your blood." I blush and drop the gun. "I can taste it in your blood." I feel my whole body turn red.