One Stupid Turn.

(Part 2 of One Wrong Turn, Erica, Mike, and Trixie try to find Ben during the events from the last chapter.)

Erica's POV:
One turn. 

One stupid turn.

I was on my couch when I called Ben to ask about some mission details he knew better than me about a recent large-scale bio-weapon seizure mission we'd just completed.  

Right to voicemail.

"Hiya! This is Ripl- Ripley, uh, Ben Ripley. Sorry I can't answer your call right now but I'm-" There's a loud sound of glass shattering what seems like metal groaning and exploding, and a fire alarm starts going off. "Erica! What are you doing-" He laughs. "Nothing-" I hear myself call out grumpily. "The stupid toaster blew up!" "What do you mean the toaster blew up? How? It's a toaster! How did you explode a toaster?" He cackles. "Shut it and help me clean up this mess! And if you tell anyone about this I'll-" "Yeah yeah, if I tell anyone you're so bad at a basic thing like working a toaster, you'll kill and dismember me. Do you want my help or not?" "Ugh fine, shut it and come on!" "Yeah yeah okay. Great, now I have to change my voicemail again later." "Ben! Help! Now!" "Yeah ye-." *BEEP*

I smile to myself hearing it, he usually answers, so I don't think I've heard this before, and it makes me chuckle. But then worry covers my features as my face wrinkles.

I've never heard this before. Because he always answers. So why didn't he this time? It might be fine but- I have a bad feeling about this.

I went on my phone to check Ben's location and saw that it seemed to be erratically changing a lot. I pulled up street cams and saw his car was going really fast. Way faster than he should have been. That combined with his weaving maneuvers immediately put me on high alert. Ben was in danger, and none of us were nearby enough to fight with him. 

I'd have to try to aid him from where I was because I knew I'd never get there in time. 

I tried to talk to him through the comms, but they'd clearly blocked the signal. While I tried to take down their block, I got Mike and Trixie's attention.

"Hey Er, what's up sis?" Trixie asked lightheartedly.

"Ben's in trouble."

"What can we do?" She asked seriously. 

While Trixie was the most childish and optimistic, she knew that it was not a time for jokes, and got right to business.

"Trix, call in support and get in the air. I want a visual track on him in case they remove his trackers. Get the sharpshooters airborne, especially Charlie and double especially, Bailey."

"Center-mark and Bullseye? I'd love to bring them in but aren't they on mission in Guatemala?"

"No, they wrapped theirs up yesterday. And though they have they day off, you know they're going to want to help Ben. Those guys love him, especially after Buenos Aires."

"Oh you're right, he really saved their bacon on that op."

"Yes he did, and he gave their kid a really cute stuffed meerket that she loves. Kensie takes Bingi  everywhere. Get that going Trix."

"On it."

"Mike get on your cycle and start going as fast as possible to these coordinates. Don't worry about traffic laws or anything, pedal to the metal and don't let up. As it is you probably won't make it, but I'm not the team's math expert so I'm really hoping I'm wrong."

"Got it." I heard his footsteps in my comm as he ran to his garage and got on his motorcycle.

The engine roared to life and I heard tires squeal as he slammed on the gas.