𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟔

☀︎

☀︎

"The newborns have reached the end of the trail—it worked like a charm, Jasper's a genius—and they've caught the scent of the ones in the meadow, so they're splitting into two groups now, as Alice said," Edward murmured, his eyes focused on something far away. He was reading Seth's mind that was relaying the whole entire fight back to him. "Sam's taking us around to head off the ambush party." He was so intent on what he was hearing that he used the pack plural.

"Sam? Ambush party?" Ivanna perked up at those words, worrying overcoming her intensely.

Edward looked down at Ivanna and Bella, "Breathe." They both had people to worry about down there.

Ivanna could hear Seth's heavy panting just outside the tent wall, she tried to keep her lungs on the same even pace, so she wouldn't hyperventilate.

"The first group is in the clearing. We can hear the fighting."

Ivanna's teeth locked together at those words, she wanted nothing more than to be down there and help, but there was nothing she could do. She would just get in the way.

Edward laughed once, "We can hear Emmett, he's enjoying himself. The second group is getting ready, they aren't paying attention, they haven't heard us yet." He was referring to the second group of newborns.

Edward suddenly growled.

"What?" Bella gasped.

"They're talking about you." His teeth were clenched together. "They're supposed to make sure you don't escape...Nice move, Leah! Mm, she's quite fast," he murmured in approval. "One of the newborns caught our scent, and Leah took him down before he could even turn. Sam's helping her finish him off. Paul and Jacob got another one, but the others are on the defense now. They have no idea what to make of us. Both sides are feinting... No, let Sam lead. Stay out of the way," he muttered. "Separate them-- don't let them protect each other's backs."

Seth whined.

Ivanna felt as if she was listening to a sports broadcaster, she would normally find humor in something like this, Edward relaying and cueing in with his own opinions, but this was different. People she loved and cared about; their lives were on the line.

"That's better, drive them toward the clearing," Edward approved. His body was shifting unconsciously as he watched, tensing for moves he would have made.

The sudden absence of sound was the only warning. The deep rush of Seth's breathing was cut off, and—as Ivanna paced her breaths with his, she noticed.