Chapter 16: Guilt

The four of us were in the cinema, watching a film. Anime.

"Popcorn?" Amelia asked.
"Yeah, let's get two and we'll share it," I said.

We went into our seats. It was a perfect spot, in the middle. Tom and Amelia sat beside me, and Anthony sat beside Amelia.

The movie started, and everyone went quiet.

While watching it, I went to take some popcorn beside me. As I wanted to grab some, I touched someone's hand. Uhhhh, I didn't notice that Tom was grabbing some popcorn too.

I quickly take my hand back, continued eating and enjoying the film. I could strongly sense that he was looking at me, but I didn't look back.

Both of us ran out of popcorn quickly. We stopped eating, and finally really fully focused on the movie.

I put my hand on the armrest like everyone else.

I forget when, I think it was after a while, Tom touched my hand gently. I took my hand back to myself a little.

I looked at him. In the dim light, his eyes shone. My eyes escaped, and continue focusing on the movie. My heart was pounding.

What the hell is Tom thinking?

My hand struggled a little. But at this time I hesitated.

I didn't know why I hesitated.

I got off my hand from the armrest. I'm still not ready for it. My parents, my future, my studies, my friends, my life and,

Noah.

Tom looked into my eyes, his eyes full of hope. It just made me feel guilty.

Guilt.

Watching the anime movie, Tom said in a soft voice, "I hope we can go to Japan together one day."

"I hope we can go to Japan together one day."
Noah said that to me before.

I remembered I answered, "Yeah, of course, we will, one day,"

Guilt.
I don't deserve to have anyone.

"I'll come to live with you when I'm eighteen."

"I'll eat anything you cook,"
"Even if it's bad?"
"Yessss, anything you cook for me."

I heard drumming in my ears. I couldn't listen to a single thing. My head hurts. I bent myself, looking down on the ground, hoping it gets better.

Memories flooded my mind.
"I want to grow old with you."
"Your hands, it gave me life."
"It was literally pure happiness that day."
"I miss you so much, so much. You know like so much."
"I love you."

"Jane, you alright?" Amelia asked, looking worried.
I got up, "I- I'm fine."

Although it wasn't me who forced us to end the relationship, but I guess Kaden was right, something that wouldn't get off my mind.

Guilt.