Chapter 13

Elijah waited in the same spot in the bayou as yesterday. It was noon, by the time on Elijah's watch. Which he knew would be precise, if he didn't have that and his nobility, he would be nothing more than another Niklaus.

She was late. The sound of grunts and moans from the camp made Elijah shudder with fear yet excitement of what she could make within a single day.

"You're late" Elijah said when he felt presence of the injured wolf

"At lease 3 minutes, don't be so picky; I actually came didn't I?" Elijah noticed a few more scratches on her face "training, it's rough" she exclaimed

"Is it going well?" Elijah asked, amused.

"Well if you think that Clarissa having an army of freakishly strong wolves is good, then yeah, it's going fabulous" she added sarcastically "and that's what I'm here about"

"What about Clarissa then?" Elijah knew that the moment would turn serious

"Her mother" she began "she was strong and independent like Clarissa, actually, Clarissa mirrors her exactly"

"She was the alpha, before she went and then it was taken over by her husband; something happened one day, she just snapped and ended up killing half of her pack"

"Eventually she left, thank goodness" she sounded relieved "but it runs in the families blood, they can be the nicest but if something happens they can easily turn, like a vampire and their emotions, but a bit meaner, stronger, easier to get back, but it's the midnight families curse"

"But why didn't she turn like that when her old boyfriend did what he did?" Elijah asked

"Well that must've been something about her turning into a wolf, that wouldn't have effected her" she said "you can get her back, she needs a trigger, find that before she sends me into oblivion, 'Kara do this, Kara do that' I swear she'll be the one to die" she sounded annoyed

Elijah didn't want to joke about Clarissa dying, he knew that there would be a good chance if Niklaus got to her. But he hadn't done anything. Sure he was outraged when he received the message, but Elijah believed that Niklaus wanted to see what the wolves came up with.

"War" Clarissa appeared behind them "if Niklaus wants to know what I want to do, I want war"

Elijah turned and wondered how she could read his thoughts like that, he was only just thinking about it "I have the wolves, they're strong and I'm leading them into a war against Dahlia"

"No" Elijah refused to believe "I know that she's done something bad to you but you have to think strategically, she's powerful"

"Yes, let's be strategic and wait for her to kill someone you care about before we strike" she said sarcastically

Elijah sped forward, taking her by the hand and dragging her in privacy. She aggravated him like no other has done before, not even Niklaus.

He locked the door behind him, staring at the snarling wolf in front of him.

"What the hell do you think you were doing?" She asked when he finished fiddling with the door

"We need to talk" Elijah said "so I can talk you out of whatever the hell you are doing"

"Why?" She hissed, standing her ground

"Because you're going to get yourself hurt, or worse" Elijah snapped back as quick as she did

"Oh like you care" she scoffed "you only care about your family and your precious Hayley" she hit him with what he knew was inevitable

"You don't understand..." Elijah raised his hand to try and calm her but she only turned a shade of red he hadn't seen and her eyes flashed yellow for a moment

"I don't understand what Elijah?" A tear rolled down which she quickly wiped away before she thought he could notice. He did. "That you had some amazing reason for leading me on at the same time as knocking off with another wolf that, by the way, has a husband"

Elijah sat down and motioned her to sit down, but she stood, ready for her side of the argument

"I had lost everything" she sounded deflated and collapsed on the chair, deciding to give in "all I had was Ezra and he died, the pack is great but I never thought I was alpha material, but I got through because I thought I had you, but you have others and you didn't need me as urgently as I needed you"

Elijah understood her words, for he had been in love before, he had needed Hayley urgently but when Clarissa had appeared, she had saved him from his undying love for someone else.

"I fear you've broken me" she held her head in her hands as if she was actually in pain

Elijah placed his hand on her back to console her. He stayed there for a while before she realised how deep she was falling again, and then she flew with rage.

"How dare you think you can touch me after how much pain you've caused me" and with a snap she was back to the defensive Clarissa "you think if you show me the tiniest piece of kindness I'd let you back, is that what Hayley did? You showed her kindness and she opened her legs like an automatic door"

Elijah didn't know what to say, he was completely speechless, no woman had really stood up to him like this and now Clarissa was there, shouting, venom dripping from her words, and all he could think about was swiping her hair away, leaning her back and kissing her as hard as he possible could.

"I'm starting a war with Dahlia and you can make your decision, but I'd make it soon or else it'll be too late" she opened the door and let him walk out.

Elijah didn't know why he stepped out, he thought if he worked at her then she would break. He had the charm, the ability to woo women, he lured Clarissa in. She broke, under his grasp just then, he thought it would be easy to get her back.

But maybe she was on to something. A war he didn't want for the particular reason that Clarissa would probably die and that other innocence of New Orleans would die as well.

Elijah, after a minute weighing up options, decided Clarissa's life was none to be toyed with as an experiment. He would stop her and she would stop the war and they would carry on with Niklaus' plan. Hopefully she would forgive him for his weakness and take him back.

Maybe he needed to lose her to actually realise what he had in the first place. To also realise his feelings and how strong and resilient they were for her.