Chapter 8

Elijah moped. He couldn't bare to see Hayley around the compound. That was why he had made his decision to leave and help Marcel train the vampire army.

He will throw himself completely into the alliance with the wolves. No more Hayley.

As he walked out of the compound, hands in his pockets. Nobody saw him slip out, but the music was too loud and too happy for him.

Before he slipped out, he saw Hayley, sipping champagne accompanied by some wolves. Where was Jackson? But that wasn't his problem anymore.

As soon as Elijah hit the cold air outside, something didn't feel right. His vision kept switching to someone else's. He saw them running in the bayou, as if they were hiding from something. Elijah heard heavy breathing and small sobs. "Clarissa" he growled before speeding off.

Clarissa ran through the bayou. Something was behind her, she didn't get a good look. She only heard the growling and barking of something and the sound of feet or paws hitting the ground. Her scrabbled mind came to the conclusion that it was a wolf.

She pushed off the trees to make her run faster, she almost went to the extent of calling on her moonlight ring to turn her. But she can't be a wolf again, it's too soon.

She tried to channel someone who she knew she had a connection with. He had channeled her but she didn't know how. So she focussed on Elijah, and just ran.

She didn't feel anything. It didn't work, her heart sunk because she knew that she could only out run a wolf for so long.

Clarissa's foot tangled in a small bush, causing her to fall over. Her hands and elbows took the blow, but she did slightly hit her forehead on the tree next to her.

"Ouch" she immediately threw her hand up to where she hit, smudging the blood ever so slightly. Clarissa clambered to her feet and tried running again.

This time, her legs had slowed down. She couldn't hear the wolf anymore, she finally came to a halt and turned around to see Jackson, his eyes flashed amber and he pounced.

Clarissa raised her arms to keep him away but she had been pushed to the floor and Jackson snapping his teeth at her.

"What on earth?" Elijah walked past the trees and lifted Jackson up from her

Clarissa stood. She brushed of the damp leaves and tried to scratch the mud off her dress.

"I suggest you leave" Elijah pushed Jackson back "you have a wedding party to attend" he said with venom in his voice

Jackson angrily wriggled from Elijah's grasp before glaring at Clarissa as he walked away.

"Tell me, what's going on" Elijah demanded "there has been something wrong between you two ever since I've met you"

"Please..." Clarissa didn't want to talk about it; the thought wrenched her gut and made her feel sick

"... I'm afraid you have no choice in the matter" Elijah said "now you can tell me right here and now, or we can go back to yours and you can tell me"

Clarissa looked up at Elijah like a lost puppy, she knew she would have had to tell someone sooner or later. She didn't want it forced out of her.

"Let's go" she said quietly, walking ahead of Elijah. He followed her, in triumph.

"Thanks for saving me, by the way" Clarissa walked through the door and slipped her shoes off "I didn't know I could run so fast in these shoes" she laughed

Elijah sat down and waited. He knew she was trying to change the subject but he wanted to know. It could save her life.

Clarissa huffed. She took a seat near Elijah and turned to him. "Fine" she said "let me show you"