An Ackerman Christmas | Levi x Reader

A/N This is for Rei's "Happy Birthday Levi" event

------------------------------------------------

You pull your new coat onto your arm with a tiny groan. Your attempt to muffle it doesn't go unnoticed by your boyfriend as he picks up his keys from the glass bowl on the island counter. The floor to ceiling windows flood the modern apartment with light along with the sight of thickly falling snow. Levi has his back to all of that as he crosses the space to you, one hand moving to your back at once.

"What's wrong?" he asks, his eyes automatically dropping to your growing belly. Anxiety gathers in his tone as he lifts his eyes to yours once again. When he worries, those beautiful eyes are full of grey. You touch his forearm gently.

"It's just an ache." you explain, "I've been sat down all day."

His brows furrow as he pockets his keys and brings that hand to hold your hip, his thumb rubbing your side. "You were up and down a lot yesterday. You should have done your wrapping on the couch while I was out getting our groceries."

You step in close to him, linking your arms around his neck. "I never know how long you're gonna be though. You could have accidentally walked in on your gifts."

He huffed. "Better me seeing them than you straining your back by doing too much." His hands rub over your back experimentally. "Here?" he asks, as his fingers rub into the muscles of your lower back. He smiles, feeling you relax more into his arms at the soothing feeling.

You nod into his neck with a contented sigh and so he presses a little harder, enough for the ache to ease away. You stroke the nape of his neck in gratitude.

"Thank you," you mumble as you snuggle into him some more. "That feels so nice."

Levi's fingers move in tender circles. "You need to take it easier," he advises you. "Let me do more."

"I draw the line at you wrapping your own presents," you insist, nuzzling his jaw. "You do plenty for me as it is. Besides, I doubt I'll be exerting myself that much for a while," you remind him. "Thank God, Christmas is an annual thing only." You smile into his skin at how Grinch-like you sound. You love Christmas a lot but at the other end of the season, you're thankful for the next eleven months off from the manic sales, the endless spam of Christmas emails, the smell of Christmas pudding and the taste of mince pies. Although, this year, you've had next to no mince pies since the baby appears to have decided that mince pies are the devil's food.

One of Levi's arms moves up to wrap around your shoulders. "Let me," he whispers against your temple. "I want to look out for you. You're the one growing our child inside you." He kisses your forehead and you melt even more.

"Mmm," you reply. "I just don't want you taking on too much."

"I'll be fine. I'd rather we didn't take any chances. You need all the energy you can get for nurturing our baby." Levi drops a hand down onto your bump again with a loving caress. You watch his face as he stares down at your child. He's going to be such a good dad, you think with utmost certainty.

"Okay, I hear you," you promise. "I'll be careful," you assure him, "within reason."

He touches his lips to yours briefly but the touch is full of love and your fingers caress his neck again. "Come on." he says after a moment, "we can beat the traffic if we go now." he points out.

You nod and allow him to help you with the rest of your coat. After making sure you've got everything, you leave the apartment behind.

****************