Bean Boozled | Levi x Petra

It was decided that the challenge would take place in the servants' dining quarters at the very back of the Scouts' current castle base. It was an extremely bare room, filled only by a wooden table and chairs. It was far enough away that they wouldn't be likely to disturb any of the new recruits or the other scouts.

"Bean Boozled?" Petra repeated the name, her lips quickly curving into a grin. "That's a fun name." She dropped down into the seat next to Hange as the latter ladled some colourful beans into Petra's bowl.

"I thought so!" Hange enthused as they poured a second ladle into Petra's first bowl before reaching around to start filling Levi's bowl, on Petra's other side. "It's a fun word, isn't it? A fun word for a fun challenge."

"Tch," the captain grumbled as he grabbed the chart from the middle of the table, depicting the bean colours and potential flavours. "What's so fun about eating dog food?" He scanned the list again with a distasteful curl of his lips. "Or vomit or.... Seriously, Hange, what's the matter with you?"

Petra wondered how exactly the notoriously disgusting-things-grossed-out man had been coerced into taking part. Had Hange challenged him to? Blackmailed him? The ways of the highly intellectual scout were mysterious indeed but Petra wouldn't deny that it was good to have the captain here.

"I know it's out there," Hange poured the second ladle serving into Levi's bowl. "But it'll build some endurance and, it'll make any kind of meal you have in the future taste that much better than some of these beauties."

"Out there?" Oluo scoffed from across the table where, Petra regrettable noticed, he was mimicking the captain's position yet again: this time he had one arm laid across the back of his chair, his opposing elbow on the table, fist propping up his bored-looking face. "It's barmy. Why would something like this even cross your mind? This is so stupid." He watched as Hange, apparently realizing the nuisance of stretching across the table, rose up to carry the massive bowl of beans instead.

"No one forced you to come," Eld pointed out from the end of the table with Levi, Petra and Hange on one side and Oluo and Gunther on the other. The seat on the opposing end of the table was empty for now. "If you haven't got the stomach-" he added as Hange approached to bring his serving of the beans.

"Shut up. I'm not backing out. I'm just pointing out that it's weird." Oluo's tone was defensive. There was little chance of him staying away when not only all of their squad was taking part but the captain too. Not to mention Hange and the commander, whenever he chose to appear. Oluo had too much pride to leave them all to it and, admittedly for Petra, that was going to be part of the fun.

"Sometimes weird's fun," Eld gave him a grin. "You know, that feeling, Oluo, when you enjoy yourself? Then again maybe not."

"Can't say I disagree with Oluo," Levi mused before Oluo could bite back at Eld. Instead, Petra saw Oluo straighten up in his seat, smugness levels soaring. Oh man he's going to be unbearable. "But Hange's got a point about eating shit." Levi added.

"At least that's not a flavour!" Hange pointed out as they ladled beans into Oluo's bowls.

"I think everyone here would draw the line at that flavour," Gunther remarked, his nose wrinkling.

"Yeah," Hange agreed. "Even I wouldn't go that far." They filled up Gunther's bowl then Erwin's and finally their own before retaking their seat next to Petra. "Anyway, I've tested all of these myself." They reached down to the floor and brought up two bottles of whiskey.

Levi lowered his face into his hand with a growl. "Alcohol, Hange, seriously? Are you trying to give everyone a hangover?"

"Between all of us, we won't get that drunk." Hange waved off his comment with a frown. "And believe me, this stuff is quite effective for chasing the flavours away." They began filling up people's glasses a little bit. By the time they'd finished, the bottle was nearly half empty.