7.

"oh now you get to have an opinion regarding what i do?" mom laughed as she stared at me.

"i don't want to go home with you." i spoke softly.

"that's too bad." mom replied.

"she can stay with us." calum offered.

"no she- "i wasn't asking you mavis." calum spoke tiredly.

"i'm her- "don't pull that card. you're here 6 hours late." calum interrupted.

"fine, keep her for a few days. i-i just need time." mom whispered as she looked down at the ground.

"i-i understand. i-it's hard." i spoke softly.

maybe i was finally getting through to her.

"i just need time to get on board, but i promise you i will." mom spoke softly as she walked out of the hospital.

i looked over at calum and saw how tired he was.

"do you mind if we just sleep in the on call room?" calum asked.

"not at all." i replied as we walked to the on call room.

calum quickly laid down and fell asleep, but i couldn't.

my life was about to change and i didn't know if it was for the better or worse.

———

i woke up the next morning to a man shaking me awake.

"what the hell." i groaned as i turned over.

"who are you and why are you in the on call room?" the man spoke firmly.

"i- "she's with me. we're about to leave. calm down." calum spoke in a groggy voice as he hopped out of one of the beds.

i slowly pulled myself out of bed and glared at the man in front of me.

"i-i'm so sorry dr. hood. i wasn't aware she was with you." the man spoke.

"it's okay. be nicer to people please." calum replied as he motioned for me to follow him out.

"who was that?" i asked.

"an intern who has no respect for anyone in this hospital. i don't even know why we hired him." calum spoke as he led me to his office.

"i have to start rounds, but you're welcome to stay in here or go walk around, just let me know where you are or when you leave okay?" calum spoke as he slipped his stethoscope around his neck.

i nodded and laid down on his couch as he left the room.

a part of me felt so tired that all i wanted to do was sleep, but the other part of me knew it was 7 am and i should probably be productive.

i slowly dragged myself up from the couch and texted calum that i was going to take a walk.

i walked down the stairs and out of the hospital and sat down on the bench.

i was tired from walking almost no where.

"what are you doing out here?" i heard a voice ask.

i turned around and saw ashton standing there with luke and michael.

"i needed air." i replied.

"why are you still here though? didn't your mom come and pick you up yesterday?" michael asked.

"she did come, but 6 hours after i called her. she wants space from me." i mumbled.

"ah, that's why calum left so early." luke spoke softly.

"i'm sorry love." ashton spoke as he gave me a sympathetic expression.

"it's okay. i understand, i'm probably ruining her life." i whispered.

"you're not. i promise." ashton replied as he gave me a tiny smile.

i nodded.

"you guys can head inside. i just need time to think." i spoke.

the boys hesitantly nodded and filed inside one by one.

all of a sudden an ambulance pulled up and i heard a familiar voice yelling.

it was mom.

"mom?" i whispered as i stood up and ran over to the ambulance.

i looked inside and saw mom thrashing around strapped to the gurney screaming.

"what's going on!" i yelled as i tried to look at her.

"move! she needs to go in. she's overly intoxicated and cut her leg on wire." the paramedic spoke as she lightly shoved me out of the way.

i was about to fall backwards when the same intern from this morning caught me.

"try not getting in the way." he muttered as he let me go and ran inside.

i quickly ran inside after mom and saw calum rushing into the emergency room.

i sat in the waiting room and waited until mom's name was called.

a couple minutes later, calum came walking over.

"she's okay, we have her in a room until she sobers up. she has a pretty serious concussion, but she's conscious. want to go wait by her?" he offered.

i nodded quickly and followed him over to mom's room.

we arrived at mom's room and i opened the door.

"mom!" i spoke quickly as i ran to sit by her side.

"calum, you never told me you had a kid?" mom spoke as she stared at me with furrowed eyebrows.

i froze in my steps and looked up at her.

"mavis? this is scarlet. she's your daughter." calum spoke slowly.

"that can't possibly be true. i don't have a kid."