[10]

wc 0.8k

this was actually part of chapter nine.. but idk i just wanted to split em up so now it's ten

———-

it wasn't... hard persay to convince your parents to let you stay the night at "tanaka's" house.

all you had to do was not let them know you was gonna stay at tanaka's house. some random person from your church youth group or someone that your parents knew and trusted. that's who you decided to convince them to let you spend the night with.

now others may read that and call it a lie,

you?

also call it a lie.. but you gotta do what you gotta do.

it took some patience on your end, of course.

"what you watchin?" you feigned curiosity as you sat next to your dad on the couch knowing good and well it was probably some game show network again.

"just some family feud," he tapped away on his phone, steve harvey's ever smiling face staring into the depths of your soul from the other side of the screen.

"alright, now name something we all got in trouble for as teenagers," he started, smiles and all as he looked at the first person for their answer.

"uh.. i don't know about you steve, but i used to sneak out for parties a lot,"

"ooh, my mama wished i would," steve harvey laughed with the hundreds of people in the studio.

"i know that's right," your mom seemed to appear from outta nowhere, coming around the corner of the couch to sit right next to your father.

DING

the top icon lit up as the team cheered.

number one answer.. but what did steve harvey and a couple hundred people know?

you sat in anxious silence for a whole ten minutes, the tv people's claps serving as background noise for your thoughts. you felt the time was right to pop the question after ten minutes of listening to the laughter echoed in your head for the millionth time.

"you two know you're the best parents in this whole world, right?"

"what did you do." they deadpan, your mom not looking up from her ipad while your dad continues to scroll on his phone.

"i am hurt," you place a hand to your heart, "i can't tell my parents i love them no more?"

"of course you can baby," your mom smiles rubbing a soothing hand on your shoulder, "but i know you're up to something, so spill,"

"i wanted to spend the night at someone's place tonight,"

you pause trying to gauge their reactions so far. both your parents opened their mouth to oppose, but stopped again to hear you out.

"see, a couple people from journalism are getting together to work on some panels together at president's house. some folks wasn't doing they job, and i decided to.. y'know volunteer to help finish the paper before this weekend," you pause, your parents giving each other a curious look, "we gotta get it done tomorrow night, and it's gonna take as many people as possible. i promised the prez i'd help out,"

"i love that you're out there, being all responsible," she holds a hand to her heart, "but i don't know who this 'president' person is,"

"mama, you know her. i call her prez cause we just all call her that, but her name is [REDACTED],"

a lightbulb goes off in your moms eyes as you say her name. to be honest, you wasn't lying there. she's met and gotten to know prez multiple different times.

partly from club bake sales and casual run-ins,

mostly from family dinners and simple get togethers.

your parents have been friends for a while, so you've known her longer than you wanted to.

"ohh, i remember her, i was always saying you should hang out with her more, wasn't i saying that?" she turns to your dad who simply nods, "i think she'd be such a great influence on you, wouldn't she?"

once again she turns to your father who nods his head before speaking up, "must already be if y/n out here volunteering for free,"

"you're so right!"

"wait. what's that supposed to mean-"

before you can even begin to interrogate and find out what was so funny, your dads lets out a chuckle before sighing, "i think he should go,"

"you sure?"

"really?" you try and hold back on your own surprise.

"yeah," he nods, "i know it's a school night, but he's become real responsible. he been on top a his grades, and her house ain't too far from here,"

your mom purses her lips as she fiddles with her fingers, "i.. guess you're right," she places a hand on yours, "if your father's for it.."

her sentence falls off, but you give her a small smile in understanding, uttering a small thanks. but there's a tightness at the back of your throat as the words leave your lips.

"alright, now name something we all got in trouble for as teenagers," harvey started again, smiles and all, peeling your attention away from your fidgeting hands as he looked at the person for what could be the final answer of the game.

"i'm gonna go with 'lying', steve!"

DING DING DING another correct answer!

man.. you sigh to yourself.

somebody better change the dang channel.

——-

i never gave prez a name tbh