18 | Lies

A/N:
Edited some parts of this chapter for Wattpad. These edits are some that entirely change some meanings and events. And I sincerely apologize for the delayed update.

Katsuki Bakugou

The next day, while Bakugou's attention was captivated by the arresting sight of Todoroki slowly eating a bowl of cold soba in the cafeteria, his moment of rapture combusted as Iida approached him. "The hell do you want, Mega Nerd?" he spat.

Iida pushed up his glasses as vacillation drenched his expression. "I would like to speak with you for a moment, Bakugou. I believe you'll find it to be important." He glimpsed at Todoroki, but he promptly returned his gaze to Bakugou.

"Hah?" Bakugou snorted. "Fine. Oi, I'll be back." He espied his boyfriend's dim, pulchritudinous eyes, soon receiving a nod. "This better be worth my damn time. If it ain't, I'll kill ya." He crossed his arms.

"I certainly think it will be worth your time," Iida assured Bakugou while guiding the latter to the back wall of the cafeteria. "It's about Todoroki. Though, I must warn you that this is based on what I've heard and have seen for myself—I can't verify whether everything is true or not. So, keep that in mind." He cleared his throat. "Last year, I was in a relationship with Todoroki. I admitted that I liked him one day, and much to my surprise, he seemed to feel the same way. Regardless, has he perhaps proposed to be your boyfriend for one week after you confessed to him?"

Bakugou cocked his brow and nodded. "Yeah? How the hell did you know an oddly specific detail like that?"

Iida glanced at the floor. "He told me the same thing." Bakugou's heartbeat exponentially hastened, sending a hot wave through his body. "Although I don't want to bring rumors into this, there is one that I believe might have some truth to it: Todoroki isn't looking to be in a relationship, despite his own proposal. Rather, he's looking to observe the behaviors of the people that confess to him. I would like to reiterate that I received this information through rumors, so it could be far from the truth. But one thing is for certain: all relationships I've heard that involve him have lasted for one week. I thought I would inform you of what I've heard, should the rumors be true. However, I would like to trust that that is not the case."

Blazing stupefaction fleetingly but fervently benumbed Bakugou's senses as he stared with furrowed brows at the wall. His breaths leapt from his chest and into his throat, and he felt as though an ashen residue from each breath he took adhered to his lungs.

There's no way that's fucking true, Bakugou snarled to himself. That makes it sound like I'm just an experiment to him. Unless... Don't tell me he's deliberately given off the impression that he's trying to seem emotionless when he really is? He even brought up influence. Like he's influencing himself off of everyone he's with? Was this all just a sack of bullshit lies? I mean nothing to him, and he's just manipulating me into thinking I mean something? Is he just faking all the shit going on in his life? No. If he faked this, he wouldn't go as fucking far as to put his own life at risk. But is this whole relationship just...a goddamn lie?

Writhing fear and denial pulsed through Bakugou's head and fingertips as he scoffed, "'Kay. Tch. I'll keep it in mind." He turned on his numb heel and returned to his lunch table, but Todoroki was gone. "Shit," he sibilated under his breath while dashing for the bathroom. "Shit, shit, shit..." Shoving the bathroom door open, his eyes immediately darted to the swirl of crimson and white hair before one of the sinks. "Oi. Pretty convenient time to use the bathroom, huh?" A twinge of pain rolled through his sternum while his heartbeat continued to suffocate his senses.

I know you're just gonna lie to me if my suspicions are true, Bakugou thought. But you're a good, convincing liar, and I hate that.