8 | What I Saw

。。。

6. This is Hell

[Bakugou clicked his tongue and took his leave, figuring that the concerns he had regarding Todoroki would gradually unravel through continued interaction, but as he began to jog back to his dorm, he could hear Todoroki's voice a bit further down the hallway. Bakugou's curiosity had been piqued by Todoroki before, but in that moment, his curiosity struck its zenith. Sidling up against the wall, the ash-blond focused on Todoroki's voice. He utilized the bend of a wall to allow Todoroki to gain more distance before he advanced.

"...class," Todoroki sibilated with a potent dose of animus lacing his glacial words. "Why? You know I can't answer." There was a pause of silence, and in that silence, Bakugou's heartbeat sounded like a drum stampeding down the hall. "Because—" Todoroki brusquely pushed his phone away from his ear. "I...I don't know. I've been busy with homework. Ah... Ninety-three? It should be in your texts. I don't—" He stayed his tongue and stared down at his phone. "You know what? Maybe I am. Would that make you happy? You're a fucking hypocrite. I don't care. I'm tired of this bullshit. Then I won't. You can watch. Watch me be...your perfect creation. You gave me an order, and I'm following it. If being perfect means ceasing to exist, so be it."]

。。。
Shouto Todoroki

The glare of the sun scratched Todoroki's eyes as he clamped his jaw shut and gripped the cold guard railing on the rooftop. His heart thrashed in his ears, and a writhing eel shot through his stomach, but he thrust himself over the edge and spread his featherless wings. Filaments of wind snaked through his sleeves and coiled around his limbs as his body ascended and began to descend after reaching the peak of his jump. Adrenaline and vertigo swirled together with the blur of the world as Gravity embraced Todoroki, beseeching that the two meet.

"Shouto."

The voice of Todoroki's mother whispered through his ears as a twinge of a perplexing emotion pervaded his mind, torpefying his flesh.

I'm sorry. Todoroki's thoughts drained into his chest cavity like mud. I'm sorry, Mom. No one wants a suicidal Hero, if you can even call me one. I try to save everyone, but isn't it all just a lie if I can't save myself? If I don't believe for myself any of the words I say to them? If the person I am isn't real but pretends to be real with such detail that you can't tell that it isn't real? I'm a coward. I'm weak. I'm a hypocrite. The more I prevent the people around me from getting hurt, the more I hurt. It's so tiring. But why? Why can't I be happy for them? It makes me feel so empty when I see how happy some of my classmates are. When did I throw my feelings away? When did I stop caring—

A rippling roar of amber fulminated across the sky as though a bath bomb had suffused the air with a blinding, orange radiance. Flowers of gold and topaz erupted and dissolved into a transient snap of clarity before another ignition of explosions combusted the azure sky with the harlequin hues of the previous, incandescent light emanations.

"OI!" snarled a gravelly voice that Todoroki knew could only belong to one person. "ICYHOT!"

With a maladroit final gambit to secure his suicide, Todoroki threw a barrage of flame javelins at Bakugou. As the flames split into serrated waves of howling scarlet, Todoroki commanded a glaucous glacier of ice to push back his assailant. Yet, he was cognizant that his efforts would be as effective in securing his collision with the ground as paper in water.

"ASSHOLE!" Bakugou shrieked, diving through the barrier of fire flaring up before him; he shattered Todoroki's ice with an abrupt, profound concentration of orange that took the form of a beam. "YOU'RE NOT DYING TODAY!" With a lour savaging his mien, he propelled himself downward, scooping up Todoroki with roughly twelve feet to spare before Todoroki's body shattered upon impact.