Twenty nine

Chapter twenty nine | Ekaterina
Alexander pulls me to him again, looking slightly mad for some reason and when I follow his gaze, I find it on no one other than his work partners, or in better words, the ruthless killers with him.

"What's wrong?" I stand on my tiptoes and lean into his ear, his head snaps in my direction and his eyes glisten "You see that woman?" He motions at a beautiful girl standing on the other side of the room.

I nod and listen carefully, "who's she?" I find myself asking because he doesn't offer any more information, "Amara Giovanni, she's promised to Ezekiel, but I have a feeling that this will end fucking badly." He says in his usual confident tone.

I raise my brows "Maybe things will change after they get married." I mutter under my breath, and his eyes holding mine for a second longer before a smirk tugs at the corner of his lips "Do you think things changed after we got married, Ekaterina?" He asks in a flat tone not giving any hint of what he's feeling.

I clear my throat and scan the room around us, anxiety already prickling through my body from the amount of people around us, "yes." I reply to his earlier question and his brows furrow in amusement.

"Will you clarify that?" He asks gently and I sigh "I'm not good at putting words into what I'm feeling." I say sincerely, this might as well be the most honest thing I've said all day.

"I can ask you questions to help." He offers and my brows hit my hairline "You really want to know." I tease lightly and his expression shifts a bit but he doesn't deny it which is a good sign.

I nod and he physically relaxes as he speaks "Did you want to marry me?" I snort the moment he asks this question and he glares in my direction, I try to cover my smile as I start talking "Well, I think you forgot but I quite literally quoted a big fat 'I DON'T  WANT TO MARRY YOU' the moment I saw you in person."

I burst out laughing at my own words and his expression stays blank, "moving on." He deadpans as I bite my lips to stop my smile from spreading and his eyes flit to them before returning to my face again.

"Did you want to marry someone else? Maybe you had a lover or something." He states and whatever laughter I had in me dies as I start to realize where the hell this is going, he's trying to get information out of me.

"No," I reply sternly and just when he's about to speak, someone's voice interrupts us as the said Amara and a guy come in view, who I suppose is her brother because he looks about the same age as her.

She's taller than me but still shorter than both men here, with big round brown eyes making her look like a doll, long brown hair that mirrors my blonde one, full lips, and a sharp nose, sure enough, Amara Giovanni looked like she just walked out of a magazine, hence the look on her face.

She looks like she hates being here, which was more than understandable, moving on to her brother, he was glaring, I think all men just glare, they have no better use than this I suppose, he's taller than her, about the same height as Alexander.

With cheekbones that can cut through things, and extremely blue eyes that glistened with fire as he glared at every single person who dared look in his sister's way, it was kind of adorable and deadly at the same time, not the glares of course, just the action itself.

"Hey." She mutters under her breath as she shakes my hand, I smile warmly in her direction, trying to comfort her a bit because I needed someone to do that to me when I was in her place.

Alexander introduces us and tightens his hold on my waist, I suck in a breath as Ezekiel strolls towards us, smiling a smug smile of his as he comes to stand right beside her, she stiffens and her expression turns into disgust.

I know nothing about Ezekiel, but from the way it looks, I prayed for that girl, "Why don't the women go sit together so we can have a small chat?" Her brother grits out so forcefully that I stiffen in my husband's hold as I smile in Amara's direction.

She hesitantly smiles back and moves toward me,
Maybe I'll make a friend in this lonely world after all.

*:・゚✧*:・

"You have three hours." The fucker mutters into my ears and I grit my teeth so hard I'm surprised I don't draw blood, "or what?" I ask hesitantly as I check if Alexander is still in his office.

He's gone, thank fuck "or he dies, I thought we talked about that already, sweetheart." He says and my heart clenches at the nickname, "Don't fucking call me that." I snarl into the phone and press the end button.

Throwing away the phone as I grab any jacket from my closet, I have to risk going there or I'll risk the death of him, and I was done going to funerals for the people I cared about.

I slowly step out of the house, two of the bodyguards are waiting outside for me, looking suspicious for some fucking reason, it's not like I'm going to run away or something.

"We can't let you leave." They both say in unison and I clench my jaw "And who said that?" I force out even though I fucking know, "Mr.Romanov." They say my dear husband's name and I run my tongue across my teeth.

"I'm gonna go shopping, it's not that big of a deal." I mutter softly, giving them my best innocent smile, they don't look utterly convinced but they exchange a look "You can call him, we're only following the orders, Miss.Romanov." He says my dreaded name and I cringe as I search for my phone.

He answers on the second ring and his voice immediately hits my ears "Are you okay?" His tone is concerned, to say the least, and I clench my other fist to stop the pain that's shooting through my whole body "I'm fine I'm fine." I repeat and try to ignore my racing heartbeats.

He lets out an audible breath and I clear my throat "I just want to go out shopping, and your bodyguards are stopping me." I mutter under my breath as I check the clock for the time, three hours, they were already going to waste.

He stays silent for a moment, "Take one of them with you." He demands in a lower tone and I sigh "I just hate them following me everywhere, I promise I won't be gone for long, I'll be okay." He stays silent for another beat and I check the phone to make sure I'm still on the call.

"Sure, go then." He says in a colder tone, almost as if he doesn't care but I don't have the time for that as I place my phone in the bodyguards' hands, they nod a couple of times as they hear his orders and satisfaction spreads through my veins.

It doesn't take long before I get into my car and start the engine, strolling away as my heartbeats continue to go crazy in my chest, tears well in my eyes the longer my thoughts start eating my mind away.

Because a part of me has fallen in love with my husband, but I know that what's coming is going to break us both.

A vote is really appreciated.