Eighteen

Chapter eighteen | Ekaterina
It's been a few hours since we finally arrived home, and I think I've been asleep the whole ride because the specks of energy that are running through my veins right now are definitely abnormal considering the circumstances I was under,

"Here." Vladimir hands me a hot chocolate mug and I run my cold hands over it, happily welcoming the warmth, my eyes shifting to him as he stares down at the floor, pain flashes across his face and concern starts itching its way through my mind so I place the mug down and briefly touch his arm,

His eyes shift to mine hesitantly and guilt starts eating up his features as my brows furrow, "I'm sorry—I took all the guards with me today, I should've left some here to protect you." He says sternly, the words heavy on his tongue as he starts avoiding my eye contact, I sigh and smile a little as I take a sip from the hot chocolate, the warm drink sending comfort through my body, "it's fine you know, I won't say that it's completely fine, but...what's meant to happen will happen both ways and here I'm." I motion at myself,

Grinning like an idiot as I smack my shoulder into his and I grimace when I feel pain shooting through my whole arm, "hey, you need to rest." His concerned tone stops me in my tracks and I tilt my head a little, "I'm great." I grit out and try to ignore the pain soothing through my limbs as I focus on Vlad instead, he doesn't look completely convinced but the tension in his muscles is gone and there's a small smile spread on his face, and a dimple makes an appearance as well making him look even more adorable.

"Ekaterina." A deep masculine voice joins us and I turn around as my eyes clash with Lucas's, Alexander's father strides toward me with a surprisingly thoughtful expression, "I'm sorry about what happened." He offers and surprise floods through my body before I smile, my tense muscles relaxing, "it's not your fault." I say softly and he shakes his head "yes it is, you're in my house, Vladimir is right, we shouldn't have taken all the guards earlier today." He says gently and I nod.

At a loss of words because there's no way I'd have expected him to be nice, "where's Alexander?" The words slip out of my mouth before I can think of them and he gives me a knowing look as he motions with his hands, "he's preparing something for you." He says and raises his brows at Vlad as if he's giving him a secret message that I don't understand, and seconds later they both stand up and excuse themselves, leaving me confused and wondering,

But it's great as well because talking itself is currently a complicated process, "how are you feeling?" Alexander's voice echoes through the air as he walks towards me, raising his brows playfully as I take in his disheveled look, his sleeves are rolled up his elbows, giving me a sight of veiny and muscled arms, I swallow hard when he smirks, slightly embarrassed that I'm monitoring his every action, which brings back memories from the last time he caught me staring, we never discussed the kiss and as much as I'm bold with my words, I don't think I'm confident enough to bring it up.

What if he's regretting it? What if- My thoughts are cut off when he sits beside me, offering his hand to me as I eye him suspiciously, he narrows his eyes before rolling them "they're clean, Jesus, Ekaterina," he mutters and I smile a little, relieved by how light this conversation is, so I put my hands in his as I walk without a guess in mind about where we're going, or what he prepared.

We enter the bathroom and my brows furrow as my footsteps come to a halt when I take in the sight in front of me, the huge luxurious bathtub is filled with water and bubbles are flooding over the surface, the vanilla scent hits my nostrils and I smile a little, surprised as I turn to face him, "it's warm water, it'll help your muscles relax, and it'll reduce the aching." He offers lightly and I nod, overwhelmed by all of this as I think of words to say.

"Thank you." I finally reply and he nods, understanding morphing into his expression, a moment passes and I stand awkwardly as I motion to the tub "um—won't you leave?" I blunt out and he glares, "sorry, it's—look I worded it wrong but I'm going to be naked you know, I think you saw me naked enough for now." I hurry to add and his lips twitch, it looks like he's holding a laugh as he slowly steps back, raising his brows teasingly at me.

I close the door behind him and start taking off my clothes, the smile on my face never leaving it for some reason.

*:・゚✧*:・

"How did you know?" I ask as I drop down on the mattress, sighing contently when the warm furry comforter meets my skin, Alexander looks taken aback for a moment before he arches a brow and shrugs "Vladimir called." He says and I nod, and how did Vladimir know? I want to ask but I don't push, the least I can do is kiss his ass today.

His jaw tightens as he stands and starts walking towards me, carefully dropping down beside me, I straighten and face him with a confused look at the sudden shift, "what did they exactly do?" He asks quietly, words measured and sounding almost scary.

"Well, I don't remember how we got to that deserted place, but I remember what happened when I finally woke up there." I start and he nods, motioning for me to continue and I do so, telling him about the electric chair and the fighting.

By the time I finish, he looks like he wants to rip someone apart, "I'm okay now." I offer, trying to stop the murderous thoughts wandering through his mind, "there are some bruises on your body, I will take care of them tomorrow, alright?" He protests and I nod, holding back any comment I had, but then a thing he told me pops up in my mind, "you told me that we were going to Adrian and Layla tomorrow, right?" I find myself asking,

His brows furrow as he thinks for a moment about it before rubbing a hand across his jaw, "if you're in pain we'll postpone it." He states, his tone holding no emotion but I don't miss the twitch in his left eye, those little things are the only shit that are making me know how he's feeling, of course, other than glaring, when he seems content with the conversation he starts walking away towards the sofa, dropping down and spreading his legs, eyes staring right at the floor as if he's in deep thought right now.

Flashes from today start roaming through my mind and I stiffen, his eyes flicker to me for a second and another question pops up in my mind "Alexander." I say to catch his attention and sure enough, I do, "they—injected me with something, it was so so weird I mean...I could talk and feel and everything but I couldn't control my movements, I couldn't move my body." I say as I recall the moment and flinch, his gaze softens a bit and he takes his time before answering me.

"It's probably a medicine that does a temporary paralysis, or it maybe anything to calm your energy and not paralyze you but stress can cause it as well." He says and I nod, wondering where the hell he knows all that, I almost don't want to know, "um-I need a new phone." I grit out tightly, heart thrumming in my ears and my chest tightening as I wonder what he'll think when I don't pick up his calls.

God help me, Alexander doesn't exactly look suspicious of me but it's not like he shows off anything either, "sure." He offers in the most nonchalant tone ever and I nod, the air surrounding us falls into an awkward silence and I decide to end this torture by speaking "thank you...for everything." I say and he shrugs, a slight smile tugged at his lips "I wouldn't want my wife dead don't worry." He protests as if he's sending me the message that he didn't save me for me he just did it because it's for him but I know better.

"Are you admitting that you need me, Alexander?" I feign a shocked expression and a gasp, earning an arched brow from him, "maybe." He surprises me by responding as he starts stretching out on the floor, regret washes over me for a moment and I contemplate if the idea wandering through my mind is a reckless one.

"Um—you can sleep on the bed." I say tightly, embarrassment clear in my voice as his eyes snap up to meet mine, amusement flashes across his face and he raises a brow "wouldn't miss the opportunity." He says bluntly and I snort, not surprised by his sarcastic response.

"So?" I offer raising a brow as he stifles a laugh at my expression, Jesus Christ, this is absolutely humiliating, "I said I'm not missing the opportunity, didn't I?" He muses as he grabs his pillow and throws it beside me lightly, standing up as he grabs the blanket as well.

Maybe this was a reckless idea after all.

A vote is really appreciated 🫶