Chapter 12

BEACON HILLS ANIMAL CLINIC, SATURDAY, 7:32 P.M.

"This just keeps getting weirder," Stiles stated as he entered the animal clinic, finding Deaton behind the front counter.

"Has something happened?" Deaton asked, watching as Stiles set the bestiary on the counter and flipped through the pages until he came upon what he had found earlier.

"Pages have been ripped out," Stiles explained, pointing to the evidence, "pages where, according to alphabetical order,  information on Sparks should be. Why would someone rip pages out?"

"I don't know," Deaton replied, examining the book. "That would be someone only the original owner knows."

"Well, that's Gerard, and he's dead, so we're not asking him," Stiles stated plainly, and Deaton gave him a look before shaking his head.

"Maybe call Chris," Deaton suggested. "Even if he doesn't know where the pages are, he may know why they're gone. That's something of importance."

"Yeah, maybe," Stiles replied, thinking.

"Have you made any progress in exercising your powers?" Deaton asked, causing the boy to lift his head, purse his lips, and look around.

"Kinda," he said, and Deaton narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "Not really," Stiles corrected himself slowly.

"Stiles, this is a very critical situation," Deaton said sternly. "The longer you wait, the more spazzes you may have. They may be minor now, but they could grow dangerous if you don't have control."

"I know," Stiles said, "but-"

The sound of doors slamming shut from outside silenced the boy, and Deaton rounded the counter to see who had arrived as he wasn't expecting anyone.

Lydia's car was parked outside, and the banshee wasn't the only one in it. Everyone-Lydia, Scott, Malia, Kira, Peter, and Derek-stepped out of the vehicle, and their expressions told both Deaton and Stiles that they weren't there to have a polite conversation.

"I wasn't expecting so many guests today," Deaton said as he opened the door of the clinic. However, he didn't step outside.

"Are you part of this?" Scott asked abruptly.

"A part of what?" Deaton asked, glancing at Stiles as he attempted to steer the topic away from the boy.

"Whatever Stiles has been hiding," the true alpha said, looking between his boss and his best friend.

"Hiding?" Stiles asked, stepping forward but still staying inside the building just like the emissary beside him.

"Lydia told us you needed the bestiary for an English essay," Kira said, stepping forward. "We have the same English class, Stiles, and we're not doing an essay right now."

"And I'm pretty sure you spilling hot butter on me wasn't just a spaz," Malia budded in.

"Let's not forget about the fact that a family of vampires are after you," Peter informed.

"Wha-vampires?" Stiles questioned, confused, shocked, and curious. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"So you don't know?" Peter questioned.

"Okay, I'll admit," Stiles began, "I didn't need the bestiary for an essay and the spilling of the hot butter was much more of a spaz, but I don't know anything about vampires." Peter and Scott shared a glance.

"Still," Lydia said. "That doesn't explain why you've been lying to us."

"It's not his fault," Deaton said. "I asked him to keep this entire thing a secret, but I suppose you would all find out sooner or later."