Chapter 37

THE CULLEN RESIDENCE, SUNDAY, 7:14 A.M.

The morning was quiet, misty, and reeked of sadness. The air was cold and missing its usual breeze.

Alice's voice seemed to echo as she spoke, saying, "they're here," ultimately beginning the start of what everyone hoped would turn out to be a verbal conversation to peace instead of a physical war.

"I see you're prepared," Aro began as he appeared from the trees, his coven and unfamiliar allies following suit.

"As are you," Carlisle nodded firmly, "but we are not wishing to fight. We'd like to talk, civilly."

"Civilly?" Aro repeated with an amused smile and a malicious chuckle. "Do you here this, brothers and sisters?" he glanced at his coven mates. "They want to speak civilly after murdering our dear Caius."

"I think we can claim it as self defense," Esme budded in. "You kidnapped an innocent teenager and tortured him. He was only...repaying the favor. There are consequences to every action. Losing Caius was yours."

"Innocent?" a vampire ally of the Volturi suddenly spoke before looking at the coven leader. "You said the spark had committed a crime."

"His existence is a crime!" Aro hissed. "We vowed to not let any spark live as long as we knew of their existence. They are a threat to all species. Do you want a threat living amongst us? He killed Caius inexperienced. What do you think he'll be capable of when he's fully trained, when he knows what he's doing? Do you want to find that out?"

"No, Aro," the ally replied quietly.

"Good," Aro stated as he directed his attention back to his enemies. "You may bring out the spark and make the wise choice to hand him over, or we can take a rather...physical route."

"I'm sorry to disrupt your plan," Carlisle began, "but, unfortunately, Stiles isn't here."

Aro opened his mouth to object, but he took a moment to silently sniff the air, searching for the spark's scent. He then scowled.

"Would you like to enlighten us on where he is then?" he questioned.

"Gladly," Alice said, almost smiling. "He's gone. He left, and, with him gone, you no longer have any reason to target any of who stands before you. Stiles is out of your reach."

"Really?" Aro questioned. "Hm, well, I suppose we'll just have to wait, won't we?" The tension grew further at the coven leader's statement. "We are vampires. We will exist forever. Waiting a few days, week, months, years even will not thin our patience. If waiting is what we must do to get our hands on the spark, then so be it. He doesn't seem to be one who can stay away forever anyway."

"It's dangerous to underestimate Stiles," Scott began, headstrong as ever. "You said it yourself; he took out Caius so easily yet so inexperienced. Do you think he's gonna come back and leave you leeches to your own devices? He's gonna come back, and he's gonna hunt you down."

"Unwise to threaten capable enemies," Aro stated. "It's seems you're only looking for a fight."

"We're educating you airheads," Lydia snapped, not a worry in her mind. "You may be millennial old vampires, and you may have strength in numbers, but a thirst for blood and speed can only get you so far."

"Watch your tone, Banshee," Aro replied as a creepy smile made its way onto his face. "Family, brotherhood, sisterhood, is important to us. Caius was a dear member of that family. You may not have his blood on your hands, but you watched, allowed his death to take place. As far as I'm concerned, you were just as involved at the spark."

"So you really want to see what will happen if you proceed?" Alice asked, extending her hand. "You know I can show you."

Aro narrowed his eyes, silently debating his options before eventually saying, "I'll wait to see that outcome."

With that, Aro spun around, shielded himself with his cloak, and speeded away. His companions immediately followed suit, and, soon, they were all gone.

"So you think they're gonna come back?" Clary wondered aloud.

"Of course," Jasper nodded. "They'll be back, and they're gonna wait for Stiles, but so will we."

[EDITED]