Chapter 17

BEACON HILLS ANIMAL CLINIC, SUNDAY, 3:16 P.M.

"We could've spared ourselves an hour if we didn't stop for five pee breaks," Rosalie commented as everyone stepped out of the car.

"I have a week bladder, sue me," Peter stated with a small glare.

"Do they always argue like this?" Clary grumbled to Scott, who shrugged.

"I've only know her for a day, but I'd still go with yes," the true alpha replied.

"Let's get this over with," Stiles said as he walked toward the door of the clinic, Ivorett and documents in his hand. Deaton seemed poised to speak, but Stiles was already in the building before the druid could utter a word.

When Stiles heard shouts and crashing noises from the back, he honestly expected to walk into the room and see a brawl. What he wasn't expecting to see was Emmet and Edward chasing around a golden retriever that was soaked in water and covered with bubbles. Esme laughed from the corner of the room as Renesmee sat on an empty table, a small, calico cat in her lap. He could hear voices from the kennel room, and he assumed that's where the others were.

"Having trouble?" Stiles questioned as the golden retriever proceeded to run in circles around the tub it had once been in. Emmet and Edward clearly wanted to use their speed, but it would most likely result in a big mess and the dog getting hurt and scared.

"We wouldn't be if he had watched the damn dog while I got more water," Emmet grumbled, and Edward shot him a glare.

"Don't blame me. You're the one who suggested the bath in the first place," Edward argued, shaking his hands, which were soaking wet and also decorated with bubbles and soap.

"That's because you took her on a walk through a mud puddle," Emmet replied.

"I'm a one hundred year old vampire!" Edward shouted. "I don't walk dogs on a daily basis!"

"Boys!" Esme yelled, laughing. "Get the dog please."

Reluctantly, the two halted their argument to catch the still hyper golden retriever, who was still running around. Stiles had moved to block the door as the others from outside appeared behind him. It wasn't long before the dog trapped herself in a corner and was scooped up by Emmet.

"I'm surprised to see this place still in tact," Deaton hummed before averting his eyes to the wet floor, "but you will be cleaning that up."

"Yeah, yeah, let's get the dog clean first," Emmet stated as he placed the dog back in the tub.

He and Edward worked together to rid the animal of soap and bubbles before drying her off and putting her back in her respective cage. Then, they when to cleaning the floor.

"Who are these guys?" Malia questioned as she and the others who hadn't been present for the dog chase stated as they re-entered the room.

"Shadowhunters. They kill demons. They're trying to help me. Blah, blah, blah," Stiles grumbled, setting the documents and the Ivorett down. "Let's get going."

As the shaodwhunters introduced themselves to those who didn't know them and explained why they were involved with Stiles, the spark slipped the documents out of their protective cover and unwrapped the bottle of Ivorett.

Stiles unscrewed the cap, which doubled as a pipette, but before he could squirt the substance into his mouth or even find a cup to put it in, Deaton grabbed his forearm, stopping him.

"Not yet," the druid said, taking the Ivorett and recapping it. "You need to be in a contained environment."

"Why?" Stiles asked slowly, watching as Deaton re-bagged the bottle.