Chapter 16

CALIFORNIA, SUNDAY, 5:31 A.M.

"Didn't I tell you to not attract attention?" Deaton questioned as the eight of them piled into the druid's car.

"Not my fault four tatted up cosplayers decided to bother me," Stiles grumbled as he shut the passenger door. Lydia poked her head forward from the backseat.

"Tatted up cosplayers?" she said while looking at Alice. "You were alone for fifteen minutes."

"I don't know what he's taking about because, apparently, only he can see these people," Alice replied. "I don't know who's the crazy one anymore."

"Stiles," Deaton began, sounding suspicious as he pulled back into the main road and began driving, his speed a little too quick. "Did you say they had tattoos?"

"Yeah," the boy started slowly, glancing out the back window. "They all had the same ones. They were just in different places."

"Did they have weapons?" Deaton asked.

"Yes," the spark answered, narrowing his eyes at the emissary. "Deaton, I'm sorry, but if you say you know them I'm going to slap you."

Deaton managed a small smile, saying, "I don't know them, but I believe I know what they are."

"Which is?" Stiles asked, taking another glance out the back window to make sure they weren't being followed.

"Shaodwhunters," Deaton replied. "They're demon hunters. Their tattoos are called runes and they grant them otherworldly abilities like enhanced speed and super strength. One of them grants invisibly, a glamour that hides them from the eyes of the public. However, those who are also shadowhunters are able to see past the rune."

"I'm not a shadowhunter though, so how was I able to see them?" Stiles questioned as he slumped back in his seat.

"You may have a true sight ability that allows you to see past glamours and disguises," Deaton responded, "but we won't know for sure until we test it," he glanced through the rear view mirror at Alice. "You've got the Ivorett, correct?"

"Yep," Alice said, holding up the bag that housed the bottle along with the documents Stiles had found, "and we've got useful information."

"I think they're from the bestiary," Stiles began, referring to the documents in Alice's hands. "The pages about sparks were torn out when I read through it and those looked to have been ripped out of something."

"Do you know how likely it is that those are the same pages?" Rosalie questioned, and Stiles looked over his shoulder at her.

"Very, actually," the spark replied. "That bestiary belonged to the Argents. If they tore the pages out, it means they wanted to get rid of them. That market isn't that far from Beacon Hills. If they wanted to get rid of them for good, selling them or giving them to someone to sell would be a smart option no matter the drive."

"He's got a point," Scott agreed, and Rosalie rolled her eyes as she sighed.

"Are we being followed?" Deaton asked.

Stiles looked out the back window once more, and when he saw an empty road, he said, "we're good."

However, as if on cue, four figures fell from the sky and landed on the road before beginning to chase after the car unusually quickly/

"Nope, not good," Stiles revised as he looked at Deaton. "What do we do?"

"Nothing if we don't know their intentions," Deaton replied. "What did they say to you? Did you talk to them?"

"More like argued," the spark muttered. "They knew my name, said they were trying to help me, keep me safe from something."

"They could be lying," Bella claimed.