Chapter 20: The Big Move

ONE MONTH LATER
ABU DHABI

"For the third time in his career, Max Verstappen is a Formula 1 World Champion. What a year and what a run for Max. This is also the first time in a long time that we have seen the battle for the title to take until the last race of the season." Screamed Martin Brundle as the chequered flag was raised

"It was unfortunate that Charles had reliability issues the last two races but it was a good title fight.  Of course, the highlight of the season is that we bid farewell to Lewis Hamilton. After 18 seasons in Formula 1 and 8 world championships, he finally hangs his helmet. What a champion" said Jenson Button

"Indeed. We will miss having Lewis on the grid" said Brundle

***
Charles knew his chances of defending his title was slim after he suffered from reliability issues in Brazil, which led to a terrible qualifying session and a 5 place grid penalty for the change in engine. It was frustrating but it is part of racing.  Again, in Abu Dhabi the same engine had problems in FP1 and he will again have a penalty for the power unit replacement.

In a way he is done. He is already on his last year with Ferrari. After close to 6 years with the Scuderia and one driver's championship, he finally bids the team goodbye. It was a tough decision but he felt this was the right time for him, career wise.

In the media pen, it seemed like reporters are more interested in him than in Max because of the big move. Nothing has been confirmed as to his new team but he and Ferrari already released a statement on his departure before the weekend.

"Charles, tough day, tough luck. But nevertheless congratulations on the race and the season and to new beginnings next year?" Lee McIntyre stated during the post race interview

Charles decided to just respond, anyway it is the end of the season. "Yes. We pushed very hard but the reliability issues really surfaced in the final two races. The pace of the Redbull was also something else today. But happy on what we have achieved this season, it is not what we wanted but it also showed great work from the team. It was a lot more challenging compared to last year because of the new regulations"

"Of course, but you still finish second in the driver's championship. Next year, while you haven't announced which team you are joining, we all know you and Ferrari are parting ways after this year. Any thoughts on that?"

"I cannot really say much except what you already know...I am very grateful to Ferrari for the trust and all the opportunities the past 6 years."

"Okay, well, we look forward to this new chapter and also, congratulations on the new baby." Lee said after sensing he will not disclose his new team.

"Yes. Thank you"

He finished his post race obligations and immediately boarded the jet to go home to Monaco. Over the past month, his mother has been helping him and Anita fix their new home. They haven't had the chance to really be on top of things because he was racing and Anita was in the UK  with the baby. They planned on fixing their home during the break so that they can spend their first Christmas there together as a family.

Based on their conversation before the race, Anita and Hera and his maman arrived in Monaco in the morning. Finally, they are home he thought.

He is just looking forward to being with Anita and their daughter after a long month of racing. He smiles at the idea that maybe having Hera indeed changed him. Now, he has something to look forward to other than racing. All his life, it has just been racing at the center.

***
Anita watched the final race and was a bit sad that Charles had car and engine trouble, which caused him the driver's championship.  She immediately sent him a message and a photo just to assure him she and Hera are there for him win or lose.