Chapter 4: Coming Home

SURREY, UNITED KINGDOM

Anita moved back into the Nelson estate and has been living with her father for the past three months. Being around horses has helped her a lot in terms of healing from the trauma and regaining her self worth.

Her father has been doing a lot better as well, after getting a few rounds of radiation therapy and has been walking with her every morning to the stables. She has not told him about what happened between her and Martin to not add to the stress.

She has also patched things up with Victoria, who is preparing for her wedding to Carlos by the end of the F1 season. She misses her godchild Lily she plans to visit her in Madrid in time for the Spanish Grand Prix in June.

As for Charles, he has become her confidante and close friend. They have spoken almost everyday the past 5 months.  She was so comfortable with him and he is comfortable with her. In a way, he filled in the gaps that Victoria has left during the time that they had a rift. She has not told him yet but she plans to fly to Monaco to watch him race his home Grand Prix.

It may be odd for a woman and a man to develop a friendship without crossing the line but with Charles, she thinks it is possible. From the moment she met him at the Ferrari hospitality balcony and then in Chamonix, she felt st ease with him. He is gentle and genuine.  Although he has not dated anyone the past few months, despite her encouragement, Anita is sure that what they have is nothing but a deep friendship.

***
During a morning walk to the stable to see their horses, Anita's father asked her about Charles.

***During a morning walk to the stable to see their horses, Anita's father asked her about Charles

"This Formula 1 racing driver, is he courting you?" Phillip Nelson asked his daughter. He may have been sick and unable to maintain good communication with her the past year but he knows she has been on her phone at wee hours of the day talking in French for hours.

"No, Papà. We are just friends. Charles is a good friend, nothing romantic going on with us" she responded casually.

"Hmmm the long hours on the phone doesn't seem like just a friendship to me. But if you says so. Anyway, do you want to go for a ride just around the east side? We can take Pepper and Orange if you like."

"I would love to. Thank you for doing this."

"Just go slow and be careful." Her father reminds her.

She rode Pepper, the only race horse she kept after her accident. She was not able to compete with her because the plan then was to train her to be the alternate for the Rio Olympics, which obviously, Anita was no longer able to do.  Her father rode his horse, Orange. He's a retired racehorse and is one of the winningest horses in the world, raking in millions of dollars his entire career and as a stud. Orange is old now but her father loves him so much he kept him.
****
That evening, Charles called her around 9 pm. He already arrived in Imola and the first thing he did was to call her.