Chapter XXI - Is that what you want too?

It was the time.
The moment painful, yet crucial. The moment, when all the fears and demons would come back, when the awful memories would decide on what would happen next.

Hinata felt her insides twist, even though the mind was aware. He wouldn't get away from this. Not after so many crimes, so many deaths.

Sasuke felt that fear too, as if in the back of their minds called a voice reminding of how many times people had cheated the justice. Of the loopholes, allowing the worst of human kind walk freely through streets. How he, Uchiha Sasuke, shouldn't after what he had done in past.

But, even though in that time he had no purpose and he had closed eyes on the future before him, now - he had, as the purpose sat right next to him.

His hand landed on hers and Hinata rose gaze to look into the pair of as black as coal eyes. None of them had to say anything to know. Whatever would happen next - they would came through this. Like they always did.

The answer came after few hours filled with fear and uncertainty.

The life sentence.

There was no joy, no anger, not even relief. Just acceptance of the fact, that they would never have to see Toneri's face ever again. And both of them were glad of that.

The colder blows of wind announced slowly coming the end of the day. They didn't change a word, not since they left the building. The silence didn't bother Sasuke usually, but this time it felt heavy and almost unbearable. As the one question was hanging between them, simple, yet so hard to say out loud.

Uchiha turned his gaze to the setting sky and even if he witnessed so many sets, this would surely stay in his memory for long. Because, after taking all the courage left in the tired soul, he asked:

— What are you planning to do now?

He felt her analyzing gaze traveling through his features, looking for absolutely anything. But no matter, how hard Uchiha's mask was, Hyuga always could see through it and notice the pain he hid. This was the time, when their roads might separate, but none of them could accept this. Yet, the responsibilities and obligations waiting for them remained unchanged. And only some miracle could have a use in their situation.

— Hanabi asked me to stay. — Hinata finally said. — In few weeks the compound will be rebuilt, but I feel like she had never needed me more than now. I... I don't know what to do, Sasuke-kun.

The last words were quiter than others, the tears crossed her cheeks. The only thing they needed was more time. If Sasuke could... No, It was impossible.

"After what I've done... Saving one princess wouldn't be enough to take me back, Hinata."

His words hunted both of them, more than the silence that sneaked between.

— I asked for a few more days. — Sasuke finally said.

He knew that all of this was too beautiful to be given to him. Uchiha was foolish to dream that it could end up differently, that all his happiness wouldn't end with pain. But this one time in his life, Sasuke was happy to believe in that dream. Not a simple wish, not a slight taste of paradise, but letting himself experience it and getting into it fully. But, as such dreams were for fools, he would have to treasure the memory of every moment spent with the one he loved the most. After letting her go.

She released a deep sigh and said:

— Then... I wish we could stay here longer.

This took Uchiha aback. He looked at Hinata with questioning gaze. The man wasn't sure if he fully understood meaning of her words, as he was deeply confused.