~I don't wanna keep secrets just to keep you~

Now Playing: Cruel Summer by Taylor Swift

--------

A/N: Sobbing on the floor because I can't afford eras tickets :')

---------

You wake up to see that you flipped over, and your left arm is completely numb from laying on it. You see that Hunter is still asleep, not facing you. You sit up, shaking the tingles out of your arm as you slowly regain normal feeling in it. The sunlight pouring through the window is enough to make you have to adjust to the light as it fills the room with the melancholy feeling that morning always brings to you. You allow yourself to sit there quietly for a moment, surprised that you woke up before Hunter as you blink slowly at the lines on your arms and legs, brought to you from a sleep you felt beckoning for you to slip back into. 

You look back at Hunter, turning to face him as the gears in your mind start adjusting to the feeling of being awake. 

"Psst-" You poke him in the shoulder. He immediately mumbles something inaudible, rubbing his eyes. "Hunter!" You whisper yell. The sleepiness in your body must not be showing, because you know that right now you seem like the morning bird of the pair. 

"What?" He snaps, not needing an extra minute to adjust to the morning as he sits up, glaring at you. Nope, he's the morning bird for sure.

"It's morning." You state, your body forcing you to yawn at the realization.

"Uh huh.. And?" He shifts to sit more comfortably as he faces you.

"We should go." Everything that happened the night before starts flooding back into you, but you won't say anything if Hunter doesn't. 

---------------------

And he didn't. 

In fact, he was ranting about how excited he is to become the Golden Guard. You had been walking for about an hour, and he keeps talking about it.

It was getting on your nerves a bit, how happy he was to be the future leader of the worst coven of them all. 

"Why do you want to be the Golden Guard so bad?" You interrupt. 

"Who wouldn't?" He responds like it's obvious. You pause for a moment, the silence filled with your thoughts as you took more time to ponder the answer to that than you should. It did seem nice, going on adventures and being one of the most respected witches on the boiling isles. You shrug in response when you realize you left a silence between the two of you that was probably awkward for Hunter, but when you glance up at him, he seems lost in thought as well.

"I guess it does sound nice." You mutter, assuming he didn't see your shrug.

"I hope I can become good enough." He mutters.

"You are." You say like it's the most obvious thing in the world. "You almost beat me with no magic at all. Imagine what you'll be able to do with a staff!" You're almost too enthusiastic, considering how much you hate the Emperor's Coven. 

"You think so?" You can hear a small break in his voice and notice his eye's becoming watery.

"Are you crying?" You smile, holding in a laugh.

"No." His voice shakes as he wipes his eyes, avoiding eye contact while he blinks away the tears. 

"Okay." You shrug.

"Um.." Hunter pauses, staring at the ground while he walks.

"Hm?" You encourage him to finish his thought, but he stays quiet. 

When the silence becomes unbearable, you just start humming the chorus to All Too Well by Taylor Swift. A human artist, but one that was well known in both realms. 

"Taylor?" Hunter laughs quietly.

"What were you gonna say earlier?" 

"What?"

"You were all like 'um..' and then you didn't say anything." You mock him on the 'um'. "What were you thinking about?"

"Nothing." He shakes his head.

"Sure." You nod sarcastically. "C'mon, what was it?"

"Do you need to know everything?" He sounds annoyed, so you back off. You know he wasn't trying to be mean, but your sensitivity lets it get to you a bit. 

"No." You mutter, staying quiet after that. 

You're quiet for awhile, but it's not an uncomfortable silence for you. It probably is for Hunter since you overreacted to a simple question, but he'll survive.

----------

"Are you mad at me?" He finally asks after 30 or so minutes of silence other than the occasional question and answer.

"What? No." 

"Are you sure? You seem mad."

"I'm just tired." You shake your head. "And melodramatic." You wave a hand in the air at that, laughing lightly.

"Okay.." 

You shift your gaze to Hunter, he's fidgeting with his hands and looking at the ground.

"Hey." Cautiously, you grab one of his hands and stop walking for a second. He's standing awkwardly in front of you, switching his gaze from your eyes to his hand in yours. "I'm not mad. I was just being quiet."

"You're not usually quiet."

"I've been loud for a week, sometimes I need a break." You smile, and he tries to laugh at that, but fails. "I'm not mad at you at all, okay?"

"..Okay." He says, unsure.

"Sorry." You let go of his hand, and continue walking. He follows you, fidgeting with his hands again.

"You know it's not a big deal to me if you're mad, though." He clarifies, the confidence in his voice is back to normal.

"Clearly." You respond, sarcasm dripping from your voice as you glance back at him.

"Whatever." He tries fighting back a smile.

-------------------

A/N: mm idk what im doing with this story anymore honestly

please gimme filler ideas :)