12

Rin never believed in those "losing a twin feels like you lost yourself" stories. She thought it was a bunch of bullshit. Now, she lays in bed feeling empty. She forever regrets thinking that way.

And in some sort of cruel manner, she feels like this is some sort of punishment from the universe for not believing in said stories. Taking away her brother. Her other half she annoyed but loved. Taking away a piece of her.

No one in the family has entered Len's room since he's passed. Her mother still acts like he's there, just sleeping. Rin's wanted to sneak in, but she's unsure if her mother would go ballistic. Her dad's drinking has gotten worse, not to mention the gambling he's started since last year.

She's tried not to be a burden, but it seems like it's making things worse. She tries acting happy, but she could tell it annoys her parents. The one time they embraced after Len's passing was after Rin's outburst at school. She bawled in their arms, and the two finally acted like parents.

But Rin's angry. It took them Len's passing and her breaking down to finally act like a somewhat healthy couple after so long? To finally support and hug one another?

Rin will never forget the news of her brother passing. That's because her parents somewhat blamed her for it.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Rin's bopping her head to music as she rewrites some notes for class. Her old, worn out headphones are almost on max volume. They're not as nice as Len's. His sound and look better despite buying them around the same time she did. She's clumsy and has dropped hers plenty of times, so the sound quality has diminished over time. She's thinking of grabbing his in a few, even if they'll bicker about it later.

"Get the fucking door!" Her dad yells.

Yup, she's definitely going to go grab Len's headphones.

She walks into his room. She stops in her tracks, "Len still isn't home? Oh well, I don't stick my nose in his business, he doesn't stick his nose in mine."

As Rin heads to her room, she hears a two way radio before grabbing her door handle. She stops. She walks over near the stairs to listen what was going on. Police officers? Did her dad's gambling get out of hand?

"Yes, officer? How may I help you today?" Her mother meekly asks.

"You're the mother of Len Kagamine, correct?" The police officer asks.

Rin slowly walks down, Len's headphones in hand. Why are they asking about her brother? Not her father? Even her dad gets up from his seat.

Rin feels numb when the word "son" and "dead" go together in one sentence. It doesn't seem real. She can't remember what she was doing. Why is she holding Len's headphones? Why isn't Len home again?

Her mother falls to the ground, about to pass out. Her father catches her, and they're both on the ground. He holds her as she looks pale. The officers look away as blood curling screams come from her grieving mother.

Screams Rin genuinely didn't know could come out of a human. They sounded demonic, almost like a creature. Her mother shook and contorted on the ground as her father shed a few tears. It was a strange sight. They did indeed look like creatures.

Screams of "my baby," "my son can't be dead," and "what happened" leave her mother's mouth like a mantra. It was even worse when the officers explained Len had taken his own life. Rin's mother just rocked back and fourth on the floor. She looked crazy, but she was probably trying to self soothe or something.